• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Guy from California

Do you think the Coronet should be restored or kept original?

• Total voters

davidarch90

Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
I'm new to Mopar and find the camaraderie and dedication to the Brand incredible.

I recently received a 1968 Hemi R/T Coronet from my father-in-law (great guy). I included a photo of him and me. He ordered the car new in Sept of '68 from Napa Valley Dodge in Ca, cruised (raced!) it a bit on the streets of the S.F. Bay area in the late 60's and became his family car in the 70's and 80's. He parked the car in his hanger in the late 90's and there it remained until I towed it to my home in So. Ca a few months back. The car is completely original with the exception of the front seat cover bottoms, electronic fuel pump and 1968 American Racing Torq-thrust wheels (I do have the original dog dish hub caps the came with car). The engine has never been opened up and I even have the 2 sets of original keys!

My son and I "carefully" brought it back to life 4 weeks ago after 20+ years of sitting idle. The car shows it's age, but every ding, paint chip and torn seat tells a story. I was going to restore the car, but over the past few weeks I have really enjoyed it's originality and decided to keep the car as it is, paint chips and all...

I have taken the car to several local "Cars-n-Coffee" where I discovered the dedication and knowledge of the Mopar community. I look forward to learning the same.

Coronet 1.jpg Coronet 2.jpg Coronet 3.jpg Coronet 4.jpg Coronet 5.jpg Coronet 6.jpg

Nice car, you rarely see survivor cars that nice. Leave her alone and enjoy it like it is! 440'

Don't do anything but enjoy it just as it is... Congratulations on getting a great gift...

The taillights and trunk panel on those cars are fantastic.

Wow, all my f-in-law ever did for me was sell me a '76 Volare for $400 !

What a gift and don't go sprucing it up too much.

Welcome from Alabama, terrific gift. I wouldn't do anything except continue to clean, to much history there. It qualifies for the survivor tent at any major Mopar show.

I would fix things that break. Maybe put a mechanical pump back on it. Repair little stuff. Like oil leaks n such. Leave it as original as possible. A car is original only once. Even restored to exact factory specifications with date coded all original parts. It was only built the first time the first time. Survivors and unrestored original is the best class of vintage automobile there is.

Welcome aboard from NJ and thanks for posting the pictures. It seems that you really stepped in it this time David! That's a beauty you have there. Best of luck with it! After a time you may come to know that Mopar is not just a car, it's a way of life! And, from personal experience, you may come to find that one Mopar is just not enough!
:thumbsup:

WOW, what an entry into the Mopar world! That is a beautiful car. As other have said, preserve it as is as it's only original once.

I am in love with that car! What a blessed fella you are for being granted stewardship of it.
Absolutely, keep it as original as possible while still maintaining it in the best mechanical
condition you can.
Yeah, I'd fix things like tears in the seats and such, but just to where it's a nice, safe driver.
As the saying goes: "they're only original once" - and that one is an amazing survivor.
untitled.png

Beautiful car! You are one fortunate guy! If you’d be willing to adopt a 64 year old boy (me), I swear I’ll keep it in the family the rest of my life! I wouldn’t do anything to it outside of reliability or safety issues. Thanks for joining.

Hello & NICE car! I'd enjoy it as is:

Welcome from NY.
I agree with the others, change as little as possible.

Auto Transport Service
Back