• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy here - Rich Kinsley Omaha, NE '64 Dodge 4dr LeRoar

Thanks for the atta-boys guys. I appreciate it. I think this will be a great group to be involved with.

I don't mean to bore you but here are more pic's of various aspects of the car. My focus has been primarily on the engine as you can probably tell. Some pic's show the oiling mods where the mains are drilled, a cover is placed over the oval holes in the valley and extra holes are drilled in the filter plate. Also the wood spacers I made which dropped the carb temp from 180deg to 110deg!! One of the best mods ever! The ported heads are pictured also and the coated pistons. I have just had a blast wrenching on this car.

Rich

Hey Rich, I don't mean to be dumb here, but can you explain the flat metal piece bolted in the valley (in the last pic). Not knowing anything about racing, I would think that it would cause a loss of lubrication to the cam lobes. I don't plan on building a race engine, but I am curious just the same.

Hey Rich, I don't mean to be dumb here, but can you explain the flat metal piece bolted in the valley (in the last pic). Not knowing anything about racing, I would think that it would cause a loss of lubrication to the cam lobes. I don't plan on building a race engine, but I am curious just the same.
==========================================================================================================

The piece of flat alum plate is to prevent the hot oil from spraying the bottom of the intake manifold to help keep it cooler. This really doesn't hinder oiling at all and perhaps it could actually add oil to the cam as it will splash right back at the cam instead of being dispersed in the valley area.

I didn't come up with the idea. My machinist, Randy Beyer, does it on all his race stuff. He runs a little 310ci Mopar up to 10grand with this set-up too and doesn't tear down the engine all season. I was running about 7500rpm with my 318 poly.

==========================================================================================================

The piece of flat alum plate is to prevent the hot oil from spraying the bottom of the intake manifold to help keep it cooler. This really doesn't hinder oiling at all and perhaps it could actually add oil to the cam as it will splash right back at the cam instead of being dispersed in the valley area.

I didn't come up with the idea. My machinist, Randy Beyer, does it on all his race stuff. He runs a little 310ci Mopar up to 10grand with this set-up too and doesn't tear down the engine all season. I was running about 7500rpm with my 318 poly.

Ok. See, not knowing much about it, I always thought that oil would only be draining down from the heads in that area. It never dawned on me that it would be splashing upward. I guess in racing, every little trick helps.
Thanks for the info Rich.

Updates on LeRoar

I have neutered 'ol LeRoar and not so sure I like it either! It looks pitiful with a 2 bbl! I have one of the new poly 4 bbl "Windtunnel" manifolds on order and an Edelbrock #1406 on the shelf. It should be ready before too much longer. I have a basically stock cam but it's a hydraulic which the poly didn't have in '64. It's smooth but I'm getting bored. My wife had a great idea. She will be retiring this year. She thought it would be nice to have a week-end trailer for some trips. A small one. Then she suggested that we use LeRoar as the tow vehicle! Hmmm, that sounds pretty cool. I guess a new torque cam is in order! Also we'll need some AC or she won't go. I guess a new project is on the horizon. Now all I need is to win the Lottery!? 2014-04-21 LeRoar Neutered - 4-21-14 005.JPG2014-05-16 Mopar Mega Meet 5-17-14  Pap-LaVista 066.JPG

The first pic is with a Holley 2bbl and the only air cleaner I could find that would work. The carb was missing the hold down strap for the air cleaner.
I also had a Carter that was the original. I had parts to tweak the Carter and wound up putting it back on so I could at least use my stock air cleaner which looked much better! I put on some chrome valve covers that were loaned to me and it looked pretty good for the Mopar Mega Meet show in Omaha area on May 17th. I can't find the pic of the Carter set-up? It was surging badly with both cars at cruise so I drilled out the jets on the Carter with a 1/16" bit and put in a heavier spring for the metering rods. That was THE trick. It worked great. The modern gas is too 'thin' ??? It needs more fuel to run like it did in the day.

Hi I thought you fell off the earth ,thanks for popping in and with a update too :headbang:

I know Rich and his 64 Dodge. If Rich couldn't tinker with Le Roar, you just as well put him away!!.................................MO

BTW Rich do you know what the outcome was to MAM dragstrip auction?

Hey Rich,
Good to see you on this forum. I'm also a member of the poly318 yahoo group. Those headers look good. I've got a 66 Belvedere with power steering and been trying to figure out how to fit headers under the hood. The car has power steering, it looks like yours does too. Are those TTI, or custom headers?

Joel

I know Rich and his 64 Dodge. If Rich couldn't tinker with Le Roar, you just as well put him away!!.................................MO

BTW Rich do you know what the outcome was to MAM dragstrip auction?

Mo the MAM dragstrip is better than ever! They have come back strong under a new owner and have the same crew running it. Geezer Drags is on for this year again about Aug 24th. I went on Fri a few weeks ago and watched the test-n-tune. Made me sad 'cause I could've beat all the new Charger SRT's! The closest one was .01sec slower than my time. Sheesh! Maybe I need two engines/drive-lines????

Hey Rich,
Good to see you on this forum. I'm also a member of the poly318 yahoo group. Those headers look good. I've got a 66 Belvedere with power steering and been trying to figure out how to fit headers under the hood. The car has power steering, it looks like yours does too. Are those TTI, or custom headers?

Joel

=============================================================================================================

My headers are TTI's. They have been abused quite a few times. I've had them on and off at least a dozen times. I keep getting them messed up with misc oil and anti-freeze. I made a mistake in installing them by not reading the directions. It's a guy thing you know! Anyway if you read the instructions they fit better! It's a small mod to the motor mounts which moves the engine back about a half inch and gives more tie-rod clearance. They do fit like a glove but they are a b**** to install. They are the best available though and very sturdy. I had mine re-coated once after a real major blow-up that had them very black from misc fluids.

Yes I do have PS like yours. It will be advisable for you to buy some cheap 3/8" wrenches to "customize" for your installation. The bolt clearance on the underside of the headers does not give you room for a socket wrench. A box wrench won't always fit either. You can't use studs and they come with ARP bolts that have a small 3/8" head to make it easier. Not easier actually just doable! Don't forget the bottom bolts all go into the water jacket and must be sealed well! They also require re-tightening every so often.

Good luck and don't let it scare you off.

Rich Kinsley '64 Dodge Polara 4dr LeRoar 318 poly w/less goodies

Thanks Rich,
It'll be a while before it's time for headers. Not scared, seen worse. Lookin' forward to waking up the engine with free breathing exhaust.

Joel

Hey Rich! Great pictures! I just recently signed up for this group. Welcome!

Auto Transport Service
Back