• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New job at work (machinist)

Due to my allergies, I did some research and talked to a pretty knowledgeable cutting tool tech and learned how to cut without using coolants. I will use some light oils for drilling/milling stuff though. Cutting oils don't bother me nearly as bad as lathe coolant does. Grinding coolant is another one that kills me. We had this one surface grinder that you could put a small car on the table that put up a pretty good mist in the air and well, that thing would put me down after 2 days of using it.

I clearly haven't figured out how to do it... I've burned up some tooling trying.... But to be honest I can replace tooling, getting oil mist all over a car in final primer would be much more of a problem.... As I now have one car painted I just push the second car outside when I need to do something...

If you want to see mist from grinders stand near a Blanchard grinder a while.
Back in the late 70s I worked in a shop that had ancient lathes, mills and presses. We had just started getting CNC machines.
For a while I ran those old Niagara presses but my favorite was a 400 ton Minster with a 36 by 60 bed and progressive die with stock feed.

For a while I maintained all the machines. Keeping them lubed and changing out coolant. That was nasty, smelly stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back