• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member Intro

EngineerDoug

Local time
12:21 PM
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been lurking here for many weeks now, gaining a lot of great info. Some 25 years ago I was into the Mopar hobby, and was building up a '68 Charger. I completed the car and enjoyed it for some years before I needed to sell it (for a song) because we were starting a family. I just could not justify keeping it at that stage of my life. I'll post a photo of it - I did all the work myself over a period of years. Fast forward to 2016 and my kids are in their teens. My 19 year old son is training to be a diesel mechanic and I have re-entered the hobby. I suppose having a young motorhead in the house has brought back a lot of old memories and instincts for me. So in May I found a clapped-out '68 Coronet and decided to make a project out of it. Here again I intend to do all the work on it, and now have more experience and resources than I did back in the day. At this point I have stripped the car down to a shell and am working on the body. Lots of rust repair and panel replacement to do, but it is coming along. The plan is to paint it Sublime Green and build a 500 inch Six Pack for it, backed by a stout Torqueflite. I will post some photos of the work in progress, and chime in with some questions about the build as they arise. I hope you enjoy seeing yet another B body resurrected from the grave! Thanks.
Charger_rear.jpg
Coronet.jpg IMG_0389.JPG 012.JPG IMG_0391.JPG

welcome to FBBO nice coronet project keep us posted on your progress

Loving your choice for a project, that was my first muscle car! Will be spying over your shoulder to watch her come back to life. Thanks for joining us with your updates.

I used to live in Santa Clara and worked for National Semiconductor (RIP). Is the old Mopar Alley car club still active?

I was a member of the old Monterey Bay Mopar club that reinvented itself into the Central Coast Mopar club. Sure miss the cars I left out there when I moved to Tucson in 1997.

If you see any B Body cars for sale out there <20 let me know. I'm looking for an excuse to go out and visit old friends in San Jose!

Billccm,

I am not really connected to any of the clubs out here, so unfortunately I can't tell you about the Mopar Alley club. Here are a few more photos of my old Charger; I can't believe I painted it in my garage. It turned out fairly well, especially with all the bodywork it needed.

The Coronet is not destined to be anything near a show quality, numbers matching car. It will be pretty close to stock, however, with some upgrades. I am just about done stripping and prepping the engine bay. The next step will be to build a dolly/cradle so I can move the shell around with front & rear suspension removed. I will replace the torsion bar crossmember, install subframe connectors and torsion boxes before I remove both quarters. Lotsa rust back there, but I am confident the new panels will go on nicely.

Thanks for checking it out.

Charger_hood.jpg Charger_interior.jpg 6_Pack.jpg

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for many weeks now, gaining a lot of great info. Some 25 years ago I was into the Mopar hobby, and was building up a '68 Charger. I completed the car and enjoyed it for some years before I needed to sell it (for a song) because we were starting a family. I just could not justify keeping it at that stage of my life. I'll post a photo of it - I did all the work myself over a period of years. Fast forward to 2016 and my kids are in their teens. My 19 year old son is training to be a diesel mechanic and I have re-entered the hobby. I suppose having a young motorhead in the house has brought back a lot of old memories and instincts for me. So in May I found a clapped-out '68 Coronet and decided to make a project out of it. Here again I intend to do all the work on it, and now have more experience and resources than I did back in the day. At this point I have stripped the car down to a shell and am working on the body. Lots of rust repair and panel replacement to do, but it is coming along. The plan is to paint it Sublime Green and build a 500 inch Six Pack for it, backed by a stout Torqueflite. I will post some photos of the work in progress, and chime in with some questions about the build as they arise. I hope you enjoy seeing yet another B body resurrected from the grave! Thanks.View attachment 364239 View attachment 364240 View attachment 364241 View attachment 364242 View attachment 364243
Those wheels on the Coronet. If you're interested in selling them, I'm an interested buyer.

Those wheels on the Coronet. If you're interested in selling them, I'm an interested buyer.
Lionized,

I'll keep you in mind - I intend to go with some Torque-Thrust wheels in the end. It may be a while before I am ready for the new rolling stock, however. The wheels you see are actually in very good shape, and would probably clean up nicely with some aluminum polish. Once I pull the suspension I will have a look at the wheel size for you.

Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back