• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rscurtis

Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
I've visited this site a few times and decided to join, now that I have a '66 Coronet. I'm sure many will be able to answer any questions I may have, and hope to be able to help other members. I've always been a Mopar fan, and moved to PA from Long Island in 2008, where I owned a tool and party rental store. Now I have more time to play, and found a hemi car that I could afford, was close enough that I could look at, and doesn't need another $20K worth of work. I am also a member of other technical forums such as the TDR, (Dodge/Cummins truck) Peach Parts (Mercedes Benz), My Tractor Forum, and Smokstak. This car was covered in the August 1990 issue of Mopar Action magazine.

Attachments

• DSCN0526.jpg
    DSCN0526.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCN0546.jpg
    DSCN0546.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN0549.jpg
    DSCN0549.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN0550.jpg
    DSCN0550.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN0551.jpg
    DSCN0551.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 167
welcome, you just hit hemi gold planet

Thanks. It has a few little issues I have to take care of, and I'm sure I'll find more once PennDot comes up with my plates. It has a newer engine (casting date May 25, 1970) with a hydraulic cam. I don't know if it was a replacement engine or a replacement block, but the VIN pad is stamped "JOE LENNON". I don't know if he was a prior owner or a person who worked on the engine. In the magazine article, it had 54K miles on it, it now shows 61,600 miles. I haven't decided yet whether I want to install a solid-lifter cam which would be correct for the car, if not the engine. At one point it was seized by the IRS, and a collector in Virginia bought it at a Mecum auction in 2002. I bought it from him, as he was downsizing his collection of 91 cars, and was "not really a Chrysler guy". He stored it in a climate-controlled garage and I don't think he really used it much. It has held up well since it was done over around 1990, and the doors and trunk open and close like a new car. Here are a few more pictures:

Attachments

• DSCN0528.jpg
    DSCN0528.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN0548.jpg
    DSCN0548.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN0564.jpg
    DSCN0564.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Nice 66 Hemi Coronet, welcome to FBBO

Welcome, what a gorgeous car :sleepy3:

Welcome! Very nice coronet!!

Welcome!

Nice, very nice! Are you having problems dealing with PenDot?
No. There is a problem with the PennDot website in choosing personalized plates. I wanted classic plates with 7 characters, but in reality, classic plates can only have 5 characters- their website does not show that distinction. I had to start over with standard plates.

Welcome. great looking '66. My '67 is cream colored and they look good in lighter colors i think.

No. There is a problem with the PennDot website in choosing personalized plates. I wanted classic plates with 7 characters, but in reality, classic plates can only have 5 characters- their website does not show that distinction. I had to start over with standard plates.

So you are going to do the yearly inspection? I've been kicking the idea around about which way I'm going to tag my car when it's done. The antique tag doesn't require a yearly inspection but you're not allowed to drive after dark. The regular tag requires a yearly inspection and a lot of counties have emissions test. Mine does. I would have to be right there for the inspection monitoring the mechanic removing my brake drums ect. Also be in the car during the test drive. So I'm not sure.
They also recognize useing old plates. The details are on the website.

So you are going to do the yearly inspection? I've been kicking the idea around about which way I'm going to tag my car when it's done. The antique tag doesn't require a yearly inspection but you're not allowed to drive after dark. The regular tag requires a yearly inspection and a lot of counties have emissions test. Mine does. I would have to be right there for the inspection monitoring the mechanic removing my brake drums ect. Also be in the car during the test drive. So I'm not sure.

Wow. And they talk about California being tough. There are NO inspections and NO emission testing for cars prior to 75. Not to rub it in but we'll still be driving ours Thanksgiving and Christmas. Maybe the Left Coast isn't so bad...

Yes, I have no problem with that. IIRC, classic tags also require annual inspection. Antique is a different animal altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice wheels.

At one point, the 14's were replaced with 15's. I don't know where they came from, but they are Mopar wheels with the Pentastar next to the valve stems. It has H70's on the rear (too wide), and brand new G70 Goodyears on the front. I'll see how it drives on bias ply tires. If OK, I'll probably leave them, except for the rears. If not, it will get radials, but I don't know if I would go back to the stock 14" wheels or keep the 15 inchers. I would be curious to know the experience of those who have made the change, either way.

Great ride....welcome from Minnesota.

Auto Transport Service
Back