• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New old Accel distributator!

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:43 PM
Reaction score
So today I dug out my almost Brandy-New Accel 30300 dual point, with mechanical advance
distributor. (from the 70's) Wiped it off and figured I would get a new rotor and cap for it.
Well, forget that idea! I can buy the cap but no rotor! Seems Accel really outsmarted me (us)
back in the Seventies by modeling this distributor after a 1955-57 Chebbie/Pontiac unit that
uses the same rotors & caps which are no longer available. WTF! So, at this point I think I'm
entertaining a newer electronic distributor with a mechanical advance for my soon to be street
driven 68 Automatic "X". (I hope!) Oh What say you Mopar aficionado's? Dang these things are expensive! By the by, Thanks for your advice and recommendations!

At $550ish, I like my Progression Ignition Distributor. It's billet n fully programmable on the fly. Great for tuning on a dyno too.

do you have a part number or pic on the rotor? I may have what you need on a shelf

Have you tried a place that does old 55-56-57 Chev./Pont. stuff? Try Hemmings. Lots of OEM parts places listed. Good luck!

As far as I can tell, the rotor part number is Accel Pt.# 130116. Advance auto parts has the points so I ordered two sets from them,
a new cap from an E-Bay vendor, and the condensor is # 100107. Thanks for looking!

This one??
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...v9i40E3aLUgJXHHVLtLEqsadkkJ815SRoCTKQQAvD_BwE

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 6.19.01 PM.png

Yup! That looks like the Delco D407! Thanks!

So today I dug out my almost Brandy-New Accel 30300 dual point, with mechanical advance
distributor. (from the 70's) Wiped it off and figured I would get a new rotor and cap for it.
Well, forget that idea! I can buy the cap but no rotor! Seems Accel really outsmarted me (us)
back in the Seventies by modeling this distributor after a 1955-57 Chebbie/Pontiac unit that
uses the same rotors & caps which are no longer available. WTF! So, at this point I think I'm
entertaining a newer electronic distributor with a mechanical advance for my soon to be street
driven 68 Automatic "X". (I hope!) Oh What say you Mopar aficionado's? Dang these things are expensive! By the by, Thanks for your advice and recommendations!

Does it have a tach drive?

the accell points are the same as the GM ones in the 70's that adjust through a window n the cap. Yeah Accell makes it hard to get caps and rotors, one reason I do not touch them anymore.

No, it does not have a tach drive. Just glad I can get the pieces for around $150.00 to actually
use it instead of buying a new one for $300. to $500! Thanks for everyone's help!

OLD Accel Distributors, unlike fine vintage wine.....do not get better with age. The same thing can be said about the old Mallory Double Life distributor....whose time came and went...without any fanfare or recognition...I had one...worst thing about it WAS....EVERYTHING....especially the cap to plug wire connections.....very P-P.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back