• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New plasma cutter...

Snook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
I picked up a Thermal Dynamics 110VAC Drag-Gun 12A unit with built-in compressor. It works good on sheet metal but anything over 1/16" is a struggle - would be a great unit for a body man or HVAC guy. So I've been on the lookout for a stronger PC. I ran across a brand new in the box Hobart 27i for $700 and snagged it. It can run on 120VAC or 240VAC but you need an external air compressor to run it but I've got that covered.

This 27i is a BEAST. I tried it out on a junk piece of 1/4" stainless steel plate @ 240VAC and it went through that stuff like a hot knife through butter, I think I'm done looking. The Drag-Gun is going to be looking for a new home. The Drag-Gun is 50 pounds and the 27i is 22 pounds and fits beneath my mig on the shelf.

Chuck

I was told to pick one up before starting my '65. Thanks for the Info !

I have the old Hobart Airforce 500i dual voltage machine. I think it is 27 Amp max. It's works for me, but a bit slow cutting through U-Joints.
I like the 60 Amp Thermal Dynamics. The extra power cuts thick stuff alot quicker, but it only run on 208-230v.

They are pretty much indispensable when you work on these old cars, makes short work of past and present sins. I'll be correcting my old sins on the next project (can't wait for this one to come back home). The 27i is rated 30A @ 240 and 27A @ 120VAC. That power plug (MVP) feature is nice.

Chuck

When I put the 5-speed in the Coronet R/T it made cutting the Torsen bar crossmember hump out pretty easy.
Used the wire guide to space the cut out from the floorboard, and then boxed that in.

I got the Hobart Airforce 40i a few years ago and I LOVE it. It goes through 1/4" like butter and up to 1/2" fairly easily.
I ordered it thorough Cyberweld in NJ. They have great sales and free shipping (or at least had).

They're great tools to have!
I have a Hypertherm 380 that I got from a mechanical contractor that was liquidating about 10 years ago and it's been my baby...does awesome up to 1/2" mild steel where it's a little slower, but still cuts well. The bummer is, they discontinued it last year so I had to stock up on consumables and replacement parts:(.

Looked for awhile for a decent cheep plasma cutter and wound up with sungold 50a, was on sale for 189.00 with free delivery. Cuts up to 1/4 plate, dual voltage.
Been doing alot more cutting lately.

Have a TD CM-51 and like it but it doesn't like burning off gorilla welds from someone that did that with some spring perches on an fabbed 8 3/4. Sure wish people who can't weld would practice on something other than rear ends....

Pics would be nice . . . Great score ! !

Here are some pics of the H27i

Chuck

20211205_104232.jpg 20211205_104242.jpg 20211205_104251.jpg 20211205_104303.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back