• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Roadrunner. Do I keep the Charger?

Depends on your own individual situation.

I recently bought a 2nd car.

And the more I think about it. I'll be honest ,,,,Im beginning to think 1 car is enough.

But then again I live in southern AZ and this 2nd one has factory air . Im not in a money crunch situation and can afford to keep it no problem. But I am 62 and retiring the end of the year ...... So who knows

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate hearing a perspective like this. Are both of your cars finished/restored cars?

Hello everyone.

I recently picked up a 1973 Roadrunner Lemon Twist 400 727 with white and black interior. It currently has a 67 383 in it that runs with a date correct non-numbers matching 727. It has a suregrip that is believed to be 3.23. It has some rust and needs some work, but overall a cool car.
View attachment 1275581
Now the question becomes do I keep my 1971 Charger green on green with a 318/auto?
View attachment 1275584 View attachment 1275585 View attachment 1275586
It has a bent frame rail, and is quite rough with bondo in a lot of areas. Drum brakes and needs a lot of work. (It would stay a rat rod.) I am not in the car much money, and I have a lot of parts for it. Rally gauges, bucket seats, center console, etc.

I would also plan on dropping in the 67 383 into the Charger because it runs decently. I also have a 727 waiting for it. So I see that as a cheap drivetrain for the car.

I have a spare 440 block, but I am looking for a period correct 400 for my Roadrunner.

I planned to sell the Charger to pay for some Roadrunner upgrades, but I started to think I should keep the Charger. I’ve talked to people, and some say to keep it and others say to sell it.

My main issue is storage, but I think I can find a place for both cars.

I pose this dilemma to you all because a lot of you guys have more than one project.

I am looking for some honest and potentially critical advice.

Should I try to keep both cars? Should I sell the Charger? Is the Charger too much work and a money pit?

The idea of having 2 B-bodies is awesome to me! I’m a young man, and I would have plenty of time to work on them. Is this an impractical idea?

I am also thinking that selling the Charger now with some economic uncertainty in the country right now and before the value of these 3rd gen Chargers start to increase more might be a bad move.

If you have made it this far, I commend you.

Thank you All.
Keep it, Mopars are like Lays Potato Chips, can't have just one.

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate hearing a perspective like this. Are both of your cars finished/restored cars?

My 66 Satellite was restored / done 2004.
Previous owner put all of 850 miles on it between 2004 and oct 2020 when i bought it.

Ive put 7500 on it since purchase.

My recent buy 1967 coronet is a nice driver.
Painted sometime early 2000s time frame. That is still extremly presentable.
And it has a few nicks and chips here and there . Original interior and vinyl top both in very nice shape
Just a very presentable local cruise in type car that gets a lot of comments in person.
Im in process of a small clean up detail project on it right now. Mostly under good and all new front suspension. 4 tires. And new dual exhaust

20220423_092033.jpg 20220415_173524.jpg 20220312_113634.jpg

Last edited:
Drive one, build the other. Sound philosophy!

My 66 Satellite was restored / done 2004.
Previous owner put all of 850 miles on it between 2004 and oct 2020 when i bought it.

Ive put 7500 on it since purchase.

My recent buy 1967 coronet is a nice driver.
Painted sometime early 2000s time frame. That is still extremly presentable.
And it has a few nicks and chips here and there . Original interior and vinyl top both in very nice shape
Just a very presentable local cruise in type car that gets a lot of comments in person.
Im in process of a small clean up detail project on it right now. Mostly under good and all new front suspension. 4 tires. And new dual exhaust

View attachment 1276264 View attachment 1276267 View attachment 1276268

Very nice cars! I hope you get to enjoy them! They are very presentable like you say. Thanks for the pictures!

Sometimes it's better to have Mopars that you can drive and enjoy, verses pristine painted show poodles that you stress about everytime you leave the garage!

Roadkill the 71: IF going big block, lots of changes besides k-member & t-bars, then there's the front brakes; find good running LA or Magnum (using 75 360 out of motorhome that had <60k, needed machine work), yes a new Hemi fits, watch for lifter issue years!! Once "green road slimmer" done, go after the RR to where YOU want it.
DRIVE 1, BUILD 1 THEN SWITCH. By time BB RR done, gas SHOULD be less murder on da wallet. My 2 cents, which is now $2

Offered @chargervert to "store" (wink wink nudge nudge) "some" of his 71s, he won't take my offer. :lol:

Hello everyone.

I recently picked up a 1973 Roadrunner Lemon Twist 400 727 with white and black interior. It currently has a 67 383 in it that runs with a date correct non-numbers matching 727. It has a suregrip that is believed to be 3.23. It has some rust and needs some work, but overall a cool car.
View attachment 1275581
Now the question becomes do I keep my 1971 Charger green on green with a 318/auto?
View attachment 1275584 View attachment 1275585 View attachment 1275586
It has a bent frame rail, and is quite rough with bondo in a lot of areas. Drum brakes and needs a lot of work. (It would stay a rat rod.) I am not in the car much money, and I have a lot of parts for it. Rally gauges, bucket seats, center console, etc.

I would also plan on dropping in the 67 383 into the Charger because it runs decently. I also have a 727 waiting for it. So I see that as a cheap drivetrain for the car.

I have a spare 440 block, but I am looking for a period correct 400 for my Roadrunner.

I planned to sell the Charger to pay for some Roadrunner upgrades, but I started to think I should keep the Charger. I’ve talked to people, and some say to keep it and others say to sell it.

My main issue is storage, but I think I can find a place for both cars.

I pose this dilemma to you all because a lot of you guys have more than one project.

I am looking for some honest and potentially critical advice.

Should I try to keep both cars? Should I sell the Charger? Is the Charger too much work and a money pit?

The idea of having 2 B-bodies is awesome to me! I’m a young man, and I would have plenty of time to work on them. Is this an impractical idea?

I am also thinking that selling the Charger now with some economic uncertainty in the country right now and before the value of these 3rd gen Chargers start to increase more might be a bad move.

If you have made it this far, I commend you.

Thank you All.
I'd definitely have to weigh out some options, I have more than one project and it's not an issue. It becomes an issue if you get hurried or rushed by someone. The rust issues would push me a little, it's by no means undoable but it is a lot of work.
Selling one to dump quick money into the other is something I've done, gets one done on a more expedited scale but doesn't make you cut corners. Lot to think of, one things for sure, it ain't costing you anything to set..( obviously unless you're paying for storage, in which case I'd say get rid of it)...

Stunning garage, I'd have a cot in the corner and a coffee pot.... the warden, (oops, I mean the wife) would have a hard time getting me outta there

That's funny because I work in a jail,and have done more time than most inmates have! Lol

I'd definitely have to weigh out some options, I have more than one project and it's not an issue. It becomes an issue if you get hurried or rushed by someone. The rust issues would push me a little, it's by no means undoable but it is a lot of work.
Selling one to dump quick money into the other is something I've done, gets one done on a more expedited scale but doesn't make you cut corners. Lot to think of, one things for sure, it ain't costing you anything to set..( obviously unless you're paying for storage, in which case I'd say get rid of it)...

Thank you for the advice. I think I am going to be selling the car now. I am finding out that it is too much work to hold on to both unfortunately...

Roadkill the 71: IF going big block, lots of changes besides k-member & t-bars, then there's the front brakes; find good running LA or Magnum (using 75 360 out of motorhome that had <60k, needed machine work), yes a new Hemi fits, watch for lifter issue years!! Once "green road slimmer" done, go after the RR to where YOU want it.
DRIVE 1, BUILD 1 THEN SWITCH. By time BB RR done, gas SHOULD be less murder on da wallet. My 2 cents, which is now $2

Offered @chargervert to "store" (wink wink nudge nudge) "some" of his 71s, he won't take my offer. :lol:

Thanks for the help. I am going to be moving on the Charger because I am finding out that both cars is too much work for me right now.

Thank you for the advice. I think I am going to be selling the car now. I am finding out that it is too much work to hold on to both unfortunately...
I'm guilty of hangin on, I decided to trade one of my longer projects for another.. loaded it up today for a trade tomorrow. but I'm gonna jump on this one, it will be all I focus on till it flips.. hoping to make this a beginning of many more build and flips

IMG_20220506_143702629.jpg IMG_20220509_170255508_HDR.jpg IMG_20220506_143552837.jpg IMG_20220522_133506781_HDR.jpg IMG_20220522_133140614_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back