• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Shoes: Scott Drake Magnum 500's & Mickey Thompson Sportsman ST's

Don67Satellite

Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Decided over Xmas to pull the trigger on some new shoes for the old girl. Previously she had 14" Road Wheels and some BF Radial TA's. Wanted to fill up the wheel wells a tad more and decided to go with aluminum to shave off some weight.

Really happy with the result. Was a beautiful sunny January day here in Abbotsford, so got her out for a bath.

IMG_1323.jpeg

The rims are the Scott Drake aluminum Magnum 500's from Holley. They are 15x7 with 4.25BS. I purchased Mickey Thompson Sportsman ST's in 225/70R15 for that old school taller tire look. Definitely sits higher, I guess more clearance for the headers with speed bumps. :thumbsup:

There were some things that needed to be addressed in case anyone else is considering the cast aluminum Mags that I think could apply for any brand.

My car has Wilwood discs up front with those stupid Pinocchio nose hubs (I despise them), so you still need a spacer to allow the Magnum 500 centre caps to fit. If you still have drums, or an alternative set of discs on the front, this may not apply to you.

The stud holes in the rims are much deeper than the steel Road Wheels, so wheel studs will need replacing, as well as the purchase of EX thread lug nuts. My original studs did not even protrude from the rim, too short.

From reading some threads here on FBBO, I went with Dorman 610-446 wheel studs. The knurl is slightly larger than stock, but they went in just fine. Now I have all RH threads on the car.

IMG_1326.jpeg

I used the Lug Nut Kit for the Drake's from Holley as they have the proper 60 degree conical shape with extended threads which offer lots of bite for safety.

Overall I am happy with spending the money. My old Road Wheels are going to help someone with their '68 Charger restoration.

Last edited:
Looking good man!

And the color combo on that car? :thumbsup:

That looks REAL nice!
Been thinking about a similar combo for mine; how about maybe a picture from the front or back or 3/4 to show how much of the wheelwell those take up now maybe please? :)
Really nice looking car too.

That looks REAL nice!
Been thinking about a similar combo for mine; how about maybe a picture from the front or back or 3/4 to show how much of the wheelwell those take up now maybe please? :)
Really nice looking car too.

There is definitely room left with the 4.25BS, maybe could have ran 235's. I read many threads on rims/tires here on FBBO and 4.25BS seems to be the sweet spot on these B's.

IMG_1327.jpeg
IMG_1328.jpeg

Did you weigh both to come up with a weight difference?

Looks fantastic!

I have a box of the longer studs waiting for install when I can get around to it.

Auto Transport Service
Back