• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new steering box model?

Thanks again. From Mark at Firm Feel, i will need a 68 or later B body K frame, so that the fast ratio idler arm will clear it. I have found a K frame on line. I assume this is more than a few bolts off and on; need to support engine, etc???

Not sure what you’re working on Geff, but it would be to your benefit to completely pull the motor in order to replace the k-member. I guess it’s possible to support the motor and slip it out... I wouldn’t go all scientific like that though, just plan for the easy route and pull the motor. There’s four bolts for mounting it to the car, idler arm, motor mounts, and the steering gear that all need to be undone to get the k-member out. Once the motor is out it’s actually quite easy.

Why do you have to replace the k-member? What are you replacing that requires this?

I want faster ratio power steering. The later, high ratio Pitman and idler arms will not clear the '63 K frame, per FirmFeel. So, i may replace the K member with a 68 on, and upgrade steering, or purchase the Borgeson box.

I want faster ratio power steering. The later, high ratio Pitman and idler arms will not clear the '63 K frame, per FirmFeel. So, i may replace the K member with a 68 on, and upgrade steering, or purchase the Borgeson box.
The 68 k will take different motor mounts than the 63, Also the 68 k will move the motor back 1 5/8 inches. Then you can modify the trans mount, and shorten the drive shaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back