• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new steering box model?

ChargerST

Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
I found this steering box which I haven't seen before. Looks like the newer Borgeson boxes with the cast mounting ears but the input shaft side looks fatter. 1 1/4 sector shaft only.

10300022-QI-3-map.jpg

https://m.buyautoparts.com/buynow/82-00475_AN

Blank serial number plate? Chinese version?

Probably Chinese if they can sell a new box for $300.
Here is a picture of a box that has some numbers on the plate (seller says it was remanufactured by Cardone):

Screenshot_20200330-191959_Ghostery.jpg

I bet the new Borgeson box housings are cast in China as well. Or maybe they source the whole box there (does anyone know?)?

Not that I know of. Probably not 100% a Cardone product. They put their name on a lot of generic Chinese stuff. You'll find the same new parts sold as AC Delco a lot. This thing says it's a 1.25 and standard ratio. Not sure why they would make an all new box and retain the crappie stock ratio... Probably not firm either. It would make sense if it was at least a 1.125 shaft so you could use a quick ratio arm...

I’d prefer US made, but yes, almost everything we buy has some Chinese made component to it. If this thing works good it sounds like a pretty good deal. Somebody buy the thing and let us know if it’s any better than the original.

Not that I know of. Probably not 100% a Cardone product. They put their name on a lot of generic Chinese stuff. You'll find the same new parts sold as AC Delco a lot. This thing says it's a 1.25 and standard ratio. Not sure why they would make an all new box and retain the crappie stock ratio... Probably not firm either. It would make sense if it was at least a 1.125 shaft so you could use a quick ratio arm...

You can buy a quick ratio arm for a 1.25 shaft - I think they are actually cheaper than the 1.125 version.
I don't think that these boxes are anywhere as sloppy as the original boxes. Technology and tolerances have increased quite a bit in the last 5 decades. Almost all boxes now come from China - even OEM. And these boxes probably come frome the same factory that produces OEM boxes.

That would be sweet if you can tell me where I can find one of those 1.25 quick ratio arms? I can only find them with 1.125...

Thanks, but no offense, I meant one that might cost less than the steering gear itself. Everything they sell is considerably more expensive than anywhere else. Sorry man, I want to support anybody I can when it comes to companies like theirs, but I think their demographic is dudes with deep pockets that don't look at price tags... Thanks for the lead though.

I have this same unit that I bought from Norm's speed shop in North Carolina. It looks to be well made, I'll let everyone know how it works out. I paid $450 for mine. It's 4 turns lock to lock.

snook

What’s the p/n on that pitman arm? I’ve always been curious which large sector arm it is that works for cars that originally had the small sector arm.

No part number on the arm. It's identical to the OEM one though.
snook

Auto Transport Service
Back