• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New tires and wheels

rlsbee

Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
For the last 18 years I've run my '68 Super Bee with stock steel wheels and dog dishes. I've always liked the look but I'm ready for something new. I'm thinkin about the one piece Cragar S/S wheels (the cast aluminum, not the steel/aluminum). I know a ton of cars have 'em but I've always liked the style and I want 'em on my Bee. Besides, they are 'era correct'. The all aluminum wheels don't come in 14" so I'm thinkin that I'll go with the 15x7 wheel with 235/60R15 tires (probably BFG t/a's).That combination should keep things about the same as the current 225/70R14 as far as tire height and width and I'm thinkin' that it might look better with the 15's. Any comments or suggestions?

2356015 is too small.OK for an A body,but not for a B body.
It will not look right with too much gap in the wheel openings.

With the 15X7's 2556015 will fill out the rear wheel wells nicely.
Outer diameter is 27.0 inches--exactly what the original bias ply tires would be.
For the front either run 2157015 or 2456015
The car will sit nicely with a slight old school rake,and still be well porportioned.
BFG and Micket Thompson still makes the tire sizes suggested.
Did I mention I work at a tire shop??
Hope this helps.
waygunwheels006.jpg

275x60x15s on 8" wheels should fit that car? They are only 28" OD with about 10 to 10.5" section width, depending on mfg. I agree with the comment about wheels size on these late B bodies. My opinion only of course but unless you are building a "correct" car I personally think the later B body cars look better with some rubber under them. Note that I did not say metal - just rubber. I also don't think they look right with big modern wheels and rubber band tires.

Thanks much for the input. I've got some time to think about this. Not sure that I want to put bigger tires on the back. Actually I never thought about that but it's a consideration. If I did that I'd probably raise the the front end too. Back in the 60's many of us raised up the whole car. It was the 'look', at least around here. The car doesn't have power steering so a set of 'skinnies' on the front is appealing too (just kidding). One thing...When I'm done, I'll be sure to post some new pics.

BTW Waygun... I like that wagon. I had '72 Fury wagon in the same color. Boy did I like that car. It had a 318/auto. It's one of the cars I wish I hadn't sold but it ended up in Alaska. I used to put studded snow tires on it (when we could) and it was the BEST car I ever owned for the snow.

Thanks again guys!

these are 15x7 tt's with a 225-70 t/a radial.

Attachments

• 100_0057.jpg
    100_0057.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 591
I run 295/50/15's on 10". 4.50 backspace wheels on my 73.

Attachments

• plum crazy 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    plum crazy 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 604
Thanks much for the input. I've got some time to think about this. Not sure that I want to put bigger tires on the back. Actually I never thought about that but it's a consideration. /QUOTE]

Sorry, I didn't pick up that you were only looking to do something to the back wheels & tires. I thought you were going to 15s all around.

Boy! I'm gonna need some more money so I can get a set of each! The input and pics (particularly the pics) really help. I got lots of time to decide and I'm gonna consider all the options. After all, I've been runnin stock 14" steelies for 18 years so makin' a change is gonna be hard to decide. I really do appreciate the help. You guys are great!
One of my first considerations were TT's and Magnum's. That '69 RT has me thinkin about TT's again. Nice Car!
....... Keep the pics comin!

these are 15x7 tt's with a 225-70 t/a radial.

That looks perfect.
The 70 series tirs fill out the wheel wells,and ride height is period correct.
With the same size all around,you can roate the tires to extend the burn-out life of all the tires,LOL!!

Thanks much for the input. I've got some time to think about this. Not sure that I want to put bigger tires on the back. Actually I never thought about that but it's a consideration. If I did that I'd probably raise the the front end too. Back in the 60's many of us raised up the whole car. It was the 'look', at least around here. The car doesn't have power steering so a set of 'skinnies' on the front is appealing too (just kidding). One thing...When I'm done, I'll be sure to post some new pics.

BTW Waygun... I like that wagon. I had '72 Fury wagon in the same color. Boy did I like that car. It had a 318/auto. It's one of the cars I wish I hadn't sold but it ended up in Alaska. I used to put studded snow tires on it (when we could) and it was the BEST car I ever owned for the snow.

Thanks again guys!
Your are welcome!!
Like lewtot184 has,the 2257015 on the 15X7 look awesome.
With that size,no need to jack up the front end.
Keep in mind anytime you change the ride height,it changes the alignment on a torsion bar suspension.
Either leave it alone or redo the alignment after setting the ride height.
Yes,you can fit a 2756015 on a 15X8 with a 4.5" backspace on the rear.
Perfect size tire for 3.23 or 3.55 gears, and run a 2257015 on a 15x7 with 4" backspace on the front.
Still old school looks and stance with a smooth ride.

Thanks for the compliment.
She is indeed a time capsule and an oddball with 318 3 on da tree trans with 3.23 gears,no radio,and no power steering.
The new wheels on her now are 16X8 with 2356016 which are 27.1 OD.
They look good since they still have a decent amount of sidewall rubber,and fill out the big wheel wells no problem.Handling is improved and rides beautifull on the freeway.

I did drive the Waygun last winter and I agree it is the best car for winter driving.The rear overhang give the car traction..
Being a standard is great for control in the bad schtuff,too.

In regards to old fashioned winter tires.She came with old Bias Belted H70-14 Tornado snows on the rears--which I still have stored in the garage!!
I do drive on them to local shows only nowadays--dont trust them on the freeways,LOL!!
odessacarshow007.jpg

i've done the big tire in back little tire up front on both my cars but have always gone back to the same size all the way around. i just like the way the car handles with the same size tire on all corners. here is a pic of my 65 coronet with 15x7tt's and 235-70x15 t/a radials

Attachments

• 100_0040.jpg
    100_0040.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 523
Auto Transport Service
Back