• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Upholstery arrived this week.....

All your seats look great. I’m guessing covid played a big part in the timeframes aswell.
Yea, They played that out to the hilt. In reality, it was just another Flu season...

SMS is the best in the business, especially for early B body cars, and impossible to find patterns and upholstery. Legendary gets their material from SMS for difficult patterns and materials, and NOS patterns not currently made.

Yea, They played that out to the hilt. In reality, it was just another Flu season...
Flu kills about 50K a year. Covid killed one million. That’s not “just another flu season”.

This subject couldn't've have come at a better time for me. I just received the vinyl for my 64 Fury from SMS this week. I had received an E-mail from them in December offering a 10% discount thru December. I had received samples from them close to a year ago. They quoted me roughly $700.00 labor for the front and back seats, which I thought was very reasonable. But, when I asked what the lead time was the lady said " Were telling people around six months after we receive your old covers". I was afraid that six months could turn into a lot longer. So that's why I opted to buy the vinyl and have a guy here make them

Flu kills about 50K a year. Covid killed one million. That’s not “just another flu season”.
Is that Including all the "forged Death Certificates", and the Vaccine Related Deaths, or just what THEY Told the World ???

Thought I'd post these pics as a way to offer some small ray of hope to anybody else waiting on interior items from SMS out in Oregon. The new upholstery arrived this past Wednesday from SMS for my 64 Dodge Polara convertible [H4R interior code]. I think they did a really nice job but I'm still a long ways out restoration-wise from getting this into my car.

I sent them my $$$$ and my original upholstery about 4 years ago. They sent me new carpeting and sun visors pretty quickly, then nothing until last week. The last thing they owe me are the new door panels.....

View attachment 1586077
View attachment 1586078
View attachment 1586079

Hi Steve:
bought my "64 in "64, 60 years ago. I replaced the all inner panels in 2014. I got them from Legendary, they were an exact replacement, altough being canadian, more like the Plymouth interior.

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

Thought I'd post these pics as a way to offer some small ray of hope to anybody else waiting on interior items from SMS out in Oregon. The new upholstery arrived this past Wednesday from SMS for my 64 Dodge Polara convertible [H4R interior code]. I think they did a really nice job but I'm still a long ways out restoration-wise from getting this into my car.

I sent them my $$$$ and my original upholstery about 4 years ago. They sent me new carpeting and sun visors pretty quickly, then nothing until last week. The last thing they owe me are the new door panels.....

View attachment 1586077
View attachment 1586078
View attachment 1586079
That's the problem with SMS. The turn around time. They do nice work, but maybe they need to hire more people.

I've had my '64 for 60 years, bought it in '64. Had it completely restored in 2005, except door and back panels, which I did in 2014. I got them from Legendary, exact replacements, but since a Canadian car, uses Plymouth panels. They were able to duplicate the originals. Quite satisfied.

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

View attachment 1586077
View attachment 1586078
View attachment 1586079
Just an FYI, SMS has had my order and my 69 300 convertible door panels for over six years now. They are just about impossible to get in touch with. I finally talked to someone about two years ago and asked them when I might get my panels back and he said should be around March. I said wonderful but to my regret I didn’t ask what .
Still have not heard from them.

I'm glad my '65 door panels are decent for my next project, I don't have that long left to finish it...

Just an FYI, SMS has had my order and my 69 300 convertible door panels for over six years now. They are just about impossible to get in touch with. I finally talked to someone about two years ago and asked them when I might get my panels back and he said should be around March. I said wonderful but to my regret I didn’t ask what .
Still have not heard from them.
Wow!!!!! If your still waiting six years later that "Around six month turn a round " I was told must be way out in left field. Thanks for the input. This really backs my decision to go with someone locally. I'm in a bit of an interesting position. While I like my car it's not a 100% all original and while I like the original vinyl style and color I can afford to let a local guy make some changes that don't quite match the original covers, such as the mylar silver beading in the covers. The lady told me they could supply that in about four to six weeks. But, after hearing your all's stories I have to doubt that delivery time frame

Wow!!!!! If your still waiting six years later that "Around six month turn a round " I was told must be way out in left field. Thanks for the input. This really backs my decision to go with someone locally. I'm in a bit of an interesting position. While I like my car it's not a 100% all original and while I like the original vinyl style and color I can afford to let a local guy make some changes that don't quite match the original covers, such as the mylar silver beading in the covers. The lady told me they could supply that in about four to six weeks. But, after hearing your all's stories I have to doubt that delivery time frame
The reason I went to SMS was because they have the original patterns. My car is still in the body shop. I just want all the pieces when I get it back, it still has a lot to get done

Well I just opened the roll of vinyl I received Friday from SMS. They sent the regular vinyl and the invoice says the ribbed vinyl will ship later. I asked specifically if both were in stock and they said yes. Now I'm concerned. I'll be calling Monday

They're usually good on materials, vinyl, cloth, piping, and they also make the headliners to match in original material. My holdup was the wait for door panels, but I had them in time when I needed them...

They're usually good on materials, vinyl, cloth, piping, and they also make the headliners to match in original material. My holdup was the wait for door panels, but I had them in time when I needed them...
I ordered my door panels from SMS 12/9/21 they were shipped Tuesday I was initially told 6 months I would call every week starting December 2022 I received a return call about 50% of the time.

I ordered my door panels from SMS 12/9/21 they were shipped Tuesday I was initially told 6 months I would call every week starting December 2022 I received a return call about 50% of the time.
25 months isn't bad. Take a good look at them for pattern match, side to side. My first set came in, in 3yrs, and Didn't match. I had to send them back, and waited another 2yrs, for correction remake...

25 months isn't bad. Take a good look at them for pattern match, side to side. My first set came in, in 3yrs, and Didn't match. I had to send them back, and waited another 2yrs, for correction remake...
Will do they should be here Tuesday according to UPS tracking

Wow!!! Again, I've read they do excellent work but years for seat covers/door panels. Although one car upholstery shop quoted me eight to twelve hours labor to make/install new covers. That's a 50% spread!!!! I used to do Piping estimation. I'd never gotten a job with that kind of estimating. The upholsterer that told me that I think he was guessing

Covid definitely impacted SMS. I had just ordered refurbished door cards for my 440 wagon when Covid hit. I know they had to shut down for quite a time. My two year wait does not seem so bad listening to the stories above. While I was nervous as to if I would ever see my door cards again, credit to SMS they communicated with me fairly well, did complete the job and I am very pleased with the results.

Interior Door panels.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back