• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New wheels-72 Charger-What will fit?? Please help!

72_Charger

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
I'm putting 4 wheel Baer disk brakes on my 72 Charger...13" 4 piston in front and 12" 4 piston in the back...I'm also going to be putting on new wheels. I want to go with 20"X10" in front and 18"X7"or 8" in front....I'm not too familiar with offset/backspacing...I'm trying not to order custom wheels...I've found some on the American Racing website, which I like (for the price). Does anyone have recommendations or ideas of what type of offset I should be looking for? This stuff is all giberish to me. P8090524.JPGChargerFrontSeat.jpgP8220535.JPG

I have 15x10" (I think 5" backspacing) on the rear of my '71 Charger, but your back spacing may change with the rotor thickness.
I used to have 15x7" on the front with 255x60x15 tires and room to spare so I think the 18"x8 will clear.

15" wheels do not fit with 12" discs so you will need to go at least a 17". I will be honest with you and say that any wheel size over 18" is actually downgrading performance as they weigh a fair bit more. there is a reason all the pro touring guys run 17 and 18" wheels. plus 20's don't look good on a mopar where as 18" does. but its upto you.

you can fit a 10" wheel in the front and a 11" wheel in the rear with proper backspacing.

your best bet would be to spend the $100 and buy a wheelrite tool to measure your backspacing

here is Bill howells charger, he is running 18" wheels with 355 rubber in the rear and 295 fronts, but it has some body mods. looks good I reckon and can handle round a track pretty well
Howell-2.jpg
hrdp_1006_07_o+bill_howells+1972_dodge_charger.jpg

15" wheels do not fit with 12" discs so you will need to go at least a 17". I will be honest with you and say that any wheel size over 18" is actually downgrading performance as they weigh a fair bit more. there is a reason all the pro touring guys run 17 and 18" wheels. plus 20's don't look good on a mopar where as 18" does. but its upto you.

you can fit a 10" wheel in the front and a 11" wheel in the rear with proper backspacing.

your best bet would be to spend the $100 and buy a wheelrite tool to measure your backspacing

I agree, get the wheelright tool, it will help you get the correct backspacing.
I'm not sure what look your after, but 18's are as large as I would go. Too many potholes around here.

Auto Transport Service
Back