• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New window regulator, doesn't roll all the way up...

Vanderstel

Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
67 Satellite hardtop.

I just replaced the diver side window regulator and window felt. Now, the window doesn't want to roll all the way up, maybe 1/2" too short. When I crank the handle at that point it doesn't go any farther up and the crank handle starts to rotate making a clunking sound. I can lift the window the remaining 1/2".

I got the regulator from Classic Industries and everything installed just fine. Any suggestions?

I know there are adjustments that make a big difference. My friend's '68 Barracuda window wouldn't go all the way down, stopping solid like it hit the floor. Some re-adjustment and it goes all the way up and down now.

It sounds to me like, in addition to adjusting, that the crank is either too loose, becoming stripped, or not sized the same as the mechanism. It shouldn't turn independently from the mechanism.

It sounds to me like, in addition to adjusting, that the crank is either too loose, becoming stripped, or not sized the same as the mechanism. It shouldn't turn independently from the mechanism.
That is something I've had before as well - the teeth on the large gear being worn out. Better take a look.
On one of my vehicles that had a worn gear, I actually built it up with weld, then re-cut the gear teeth with a cut off blade and it worked.

BUT, a new regulator shouldn't have that problem.

What is the adjustment for? Screwdriver pointing
IMG_5889 copy.jpg

Nevermind, there's a cam on the inside, it seems to adjust the bottom stop, nothing to do with the upward adjustment. I think my regulator is faulty, I'll be returning it. Some of the teeth seem damaged.

Auto Transport Service
Back