• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie brake question

Sorry to say I am still working on my brakes. I have replaced the hoses and lines for the front as well as the distribution block/proportioning valve. Bless the MC and got through the rear brakes. The rear brakes are in good shape but I am only getting a trickle of brake fluid from the front passenger side. The driver side looks good. I had thought that I may need to replace the MC but the driver side is fine. Any thoughts? One only the one side?

Although you've replaced the valves, I'd disconnect the passenger brake line at the front metering valve (after the distribution block) to be sure that fluid is pumping from there in sufficient volume. If no, I'd suspect a faulty valve. If yes, then disconnect the line at the brake piston (not just the bleeder screw) and check again, until you find the source of the restriction.

Although you've replaced the valves, I'd disconnect the passenger brake line at the front metering valve (after the distribution block) to be sure that fluid is pumping from there in sufficient volume. If no, I'd suspect a faulty valve. If yes, then disconnect the line at the brake piston (not just the bleeder screw) and check again, until you find the source of the restriction.
I dont have a metering valve. I have all drums. *Not sure if that matters or if should get one.*

I dont have a metering valve. I have all drums. *Not sure if that matters or if should get one.*
Hello Ms. Sully, came across this thread just yesterday. I'm having a similar issue on my '70 all drum brake car. Like you, I have little experience with brake systems and I'm hoping that you have resolved your issues and can fill us in on what solved the problems. Thank You.

Hello Ms. Sully, came across this thread just yesterday. I'm having a similar issue on my '70 all drum brake car. Like you, I have little experience with brake systems and I'm hoping that you have resolved your issues and can fill us in on what solved the problems. Thank You.
Good morning Ray70Chrg. My master cylinder was leaking and the leak was inside the car under the carpet. When I pulled the MC off, the bushing inside was shot. A new MC is not very expensive and it is fairly straightforward to bench bleed before installing. Make sure you get new gaskets, maybe a new boot, and if there is a piece to hold your boot, do everything in your power to save it from the old one or at least know if you can by a replacement easily. Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back