• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie has a question?

73se

Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
First I would like to say that I really enjoy being a member of this site. I have learned a lot just by reading the answers you guys give helping others. So it is my turn to ask some important questions?

Less than 6 month I purchased a 1973 Charger SE, but the son of bitch who sold it to me was a liar and told me that 400 magnum engine that was in it was a matching numbered engine, it was not!

I love my car but I don’t know what to do. I have options PLEASE tell me which way to go

1. Rebuild the 400 that is in it now
2. Find a date coded 400 and install it
3. Install 440 NOT DATE coded
4. Find a date coded 440 and install it

Attachments

• Moly 018.jpg
    Moly 018.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
What are your goals for the car?

What is the current condition of the car? Any pics?

If it were me, I'd build a 440 for it, but the 400 is a great engine that you can make tons of power with too. As for date coding?, if you coould find one convenient to your location would be great, but it doesnt really matter all that much, they say there only original once.

Good question, the car is a one owner all original except “motor” minor rust and dents
Interior is well intact

Good question, the car is a one owner all original except “motor” minor rust and dents
Interior is well intact

Nice car. Does the existing 400 engine run well currently?

Does it have A/C ?

Will it ever see any track time?

I really wouln't sweat it unless he intentionally decieved you, and you paid considerably more for the car based on the numbers matching issue. As for the 400 if it were mine I would keep it in there as long as it not blown or somthing. If your dead set on pulling the 400 for somthing else 440s arent to hard to come by and can be made bad real easy.

I like the 400 block with a 440 forged crank. That combo is almost perfect- revs like a small block and builds power like a big block. Just my $0.02.

The rest of the car has a lot of potential. good start. take your time and have fun.

Don't ever take anyone's word on matching numbers...check for yourself.

Nice car. Doesn't look like it will take "too" much to get it respectable. Quarters look great.

Auto Transport Service
Back