• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie With Abandoned 72 Charger from Michigan!

I would definitely blow it apart and get all the metal work done first.
take plenty of pictures as you take things apart and keep your fasteners marked and together with the parts they belong to. get the body painted, then work on all the sub assemblies. most of all
have fun!
Welcome from the Motor City, and read the post above from WP29440SE many times over, and remember the last line he states is the most important!

Awesome catch! If I can offer one piece of advice it’s this: break the car into projects, ie: front end, engine, interior, body etc. Tackle and COMPLETE one project at a time. Don’t move on until you complete something. Don’t just strip the car down and start sanding the body without a plan. If you look at most of the project cars for sale you can see that the seller didn’t do this. I didn’t do this. That’s how I know.
That’s a sweet car.

Thanks! I definitely agree with you and will stick to that plan!

Welcome from Alabama, with that much rot, you have your hands full, but from your pictures there is a lot worth saving and it's complete.
Oh I know I do haha! It's definitely worth it to me though, and like you said, there's still a lot of good to it! Thankfully I have some people that can help me out when I need it! My dad has always been good with cars, my brother does all of this stuff for a living and my uncle rebuilds allllll of these old cars from the ground up every day haha!

Unfortunately I'm looking for the full rear frame rails, not just the trunk sections! What's also unfortunate is that companies only seem to make the trunk sections for the 3rd gens rather than the full ones. Not fair haha! Thank you though, I appreciate it!

Unfortunately I'm looking for the full rear frame rails, not just the trunk sections! What's also unfortunate is that companies only seem to make the trunk sections for the 3rd gens rather than the full ones. Not fair haha! Thank you though, I appreciate it!
I don't think anyone makes the full rails for a 3rd Gen. The good thing is, a donor car will be a lot easier to find than a 2nd Gen. And a lot cheaper. Good luck.

Awesome catch! If I can offer one piece of advice it’s this: break the car into projects, ie: front end, engine, interior, body etc. Tackle and COMPLETE one project at a time. Don’t move on until you complete something. Don’t just strip the car down and start sanding the body without a plan. If you look at most of the project cars for sale you can see that the seller didn’t do this. I didn’t do this. That’s how I know.
That’s a sweet car.
I wish I knew that before I start...:(

Welcome to FBBO

serious project there
good luck & happy MoParing

Welcome to FBBO

serious project there
good luck & happy MoParing
Thanks! Oh yeah, it's definitely a VERY big project, but it's worth saving to me! Plus, it'll make the car that much more special in the end!

Welcome from indiana and glad to see another se getting saved. I've been working on mine for the last six years and was in the same boat as you are. Thankfully I found a donor car pretty cheap. The hard to get parts are the fenders, doors, and trunk lids.

20190301_175848.jpg FB_IMG_1452478856482.jpg

Welcome from indiana and glad to see another se getting saved. I've been working on mine for the last six years and was in the same boat as you are. Thankfully I found a donor car pretty cheap. The hard to get parts are the fenders, doors, and trunk lids.

View attachment 983281 View attachment 983283
Thank you! It's cool to see someone else with the same car doing the same thing! Yeah, it's definitely hard to find frame parts, and like you said, front fenders and doors as well! Luckily pretty much everything else is easy to find! Some people might say it's not worth it or that it should be a parts car itself, but it's worth it to me! If you're willing to put in the work, time and money, then anything can be saved! The more of these kept on the road the better! Plus like I said before, saving a car that is so far gone makes it that much more special in the end!

Auto Transport Service
Back