• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newer Indy Cast Aluminum Wedge Valve Cover Finish

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Just some informational Heads-Up! I ordered a pair of Indy cast aluminum valve covers with the LOGO
on them and was horrified when I opened the box! Seems as though they have a new foundry making them and just
handling them took some of the skin off of my hands! I sold an older pair on here a few years ago and they were finished
nicely on the outside. STUPID ME! The outside of the new covers have casting and shrinkage marks and are so rough, it
looks as though they were grit-blasted with 36 grit Aluminum Oxide. Here are some pic's so ya'all know.
20231110_134702.jpg
20231110_134725.jpg
20231110_134734.jpg
20231110_134757.jpg
20231110_134817.jpg

I bought some indy valve covers. Sanded them down, and used gloss back vht paint. Then then lightly sanded the letters to give them some shine. Turned out pretty good.

20220607_153151.jpg

Looks good but as I can see from your photo you have the older ones. Either that or you put alot of
work into them!

My ten-year-old covers have those shrink marks as well as a bunch of different parting lines from the molds. I wasn't impressed considering the price of them. Would sooner have had off-shore ones that were half the price and had been "cleaned" up. That said, I have never been impressed with Indy's quality. On their older dual-plane intake it was blatantly evident they'd taken another brand intake, lathered it up with plasticine to increase the runner size and made the molds from that with visible lines where the aluminum ended and the plasticine began. And if you own an older set of their big block aluminum heads you know they really screwed the pooch there since you couldn't install a distributor in the motor unless you ground a significant corner of the head away. This is still evident on their aluminum heads although they now mill the area before they sell them.

The problem is it's hard to keep kleen and you can't wipe them down with a cloth!
The old covers had a nice smooth coating on them.
IMG_8351[5].jpg
20231110_134734.jpg

So, I'm returning the INDY covers and buying a pair of Trick Flow. They are powder coated already
just like the INDY covers used to be. Price is right also. $186.00 and free shipping. No leaks!

So, I'm returning the INDY covers and buying a pair of Trick Flow. They are powder coated already
just like the INDY covers used to be. Price is right also. $186.00 and free shipping. No leaks!
Couldn't you sand the covers down and use high heat paint? I would think you could make those covers look really nice with little effort.

I didn't pay $275.00 to have to do another $200.00 to powdercoat them. Now they're $399.00! The covers are way too rough. If you look at the pics closely, you'll see.

Auto Transport Service
Back