• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next installment in the saga

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
Ok, so my car...which absolutely hates me, has once again come up with a way to crush my hopes.
Thursday I had it out driving after doing the shade tree alignment. After which, I washed it all up nice and pretty. It sat out all day just lounging in the sunshine. Come evening, I fired it up and drove it into the garage.
Friday morning I went out and on put the Pypes slash cut slip ons. I fired it up and let it warm up (manifold heat choke) for a couple minutes. I climb3d in to take it around the block, but it wouldnt move when I put it in gear...any gear. It didnt do anything. No rpm drop when shifted into gear...nothing. I checked the fluid, plenty at the correct level. I checked the linkage (cable) to see if something broke. Nope, that was good too.
The transmission only has maybe 25 miles on it since it was totally rebuilt. Kickdown linkage was correctly adjusted (hence the reason I had transission rebuilt). Not making that mistake again.

So, the moral of this story is...I am stumped.

Assuming you have a nss see if it will start in gear as in your shifter cable set up is moving the shifter or is it slipping where it is attached to the transmission ?

Does the transmission fluid smell burnt? My gut says a linkage issue. Any fluid on the ground? Did it run hotter than usual when you last drove it?

Tranmission fluid looks and smells fine. No evidence of being burnt, color is like new. No fluid on the ground.

I did not check to see if the lever is in fact moving the rod in the transmission. I did check that the lever was moving, thereby ruling out a broken shifter cable.

It would seem to me that working normally and suddenly not working could be a linkage issue

I was watching the roadkill episode they built the general mayhem. Freiberger drove the car to the alignment shop, came back handed Mike the keys, it wouldn’t move. If I remember correctly, they said the torque converter converter wasn’t seated all the way

Fire it up… The engine Matt, Not the car. :lol: Put it in neutral for a few minutes which will allow fluid to run throughout the transmission. Run it through the gears slowly and see what happens. Bring it up to temperature and check the fluid level in neutral. Try it and report back.

It sounds like the shifter isn't moving the selector on the transmission. Start there.

Ok, so my car...which absolutely hates me, has once again come up with a way to crush my hopes.
Thursday I had it out driving after doing the shade tree alignment. After which, I washed it all up nice and pretty. It sat out all day just lounging in the sunshine. Come evening, I fired it up and drove it into the garage.
Friday morning I went out and on put the Pypes slash cut slip ons. I fired it up and let it warm up (manifold heat choke) for a couple minutes. I climb3d in to take it around the block, but it wouldnt move when I put it in gear...any gear. It didnt do anything. No rpm drop when shifted into gear...nothing. I checked the fluid, plenty at the correct level. I checked the linkage (cable) to see if something broke. Nope, that was good too.
The transmission only has maybe 25 miles on it since it was totally rebuilt. Kickdown linkage was correctly adjusted (hence the reason I had transission rebuilt). Not making that mistake again.

The problems could be attributed to the following:
Bad grounds
incorrect spark plugs
Wrong oil, wrong coolant used, no shroud on radiator
too much timing or too little timing
wrong or incorrect idle mixture screw settings
front pump in transmission not priming on start up resulting in no hydraulic control pressure to apply clutches
tired transmission
Wrong libation by the owner used
Wrong wax used
Vehicle alignment
Vacuum leaks
.......just a few of many possible causes........(with a little sarcasm...?.)
BOB RENTON

Ok, So I ensured it was in neutral on the selector. Had to wiggle it before it would start. Ran it for 10 minutes. It shows the same on the stick as it does not running cold. If I blip the gas in any gear it kind of leans forward.

What you working on? With a shift cable? Is this an aftermarket shifter? Or is the car an early 62-65 cable shift car? The early cars cable has a quick connect fitting inside the trans. Maybe it popped off?

71 charger with an aftermarket B&M shifter which uses a cable
59E03184-B71D-446C-A36F-E4C127DCDBA1.jpeg

Will it crank if the shifter is in reverse or drive? It shouldn't. If it only cranks in neutral and park the shifter adjustment should be close enough to get it to move. If it's a stock valve body? When it's running the fluid needs to be checked in neutral, not park. Is the fluid level higher before starting than it is running? It should be. If the level doesn't change the pump isn't moving fluid. My bet would be broken pump gears. Especially if there was an issue with the converter being jammed up during installation.
Doug

It only cranks in park or reverse. Stock valve body. Yes, I know when to check fluid level in transmission. I stated the fact that is not different in any of the different gears. I will however check the level before and after starting. The converter was properly installed and it was not jammed up during installation.

This car was running AND driving. I parked it Thursday evening without any event and Friday morning...it won't drive.

Original post:

It just stumps me that it was fine 12 hours previous.

It only cranks in park or reverse. Stock valve body. Yes, I know when to check fluid level in transmission. I stated the fact that is not different in any of the different gears. I will however check the level before and after starting. The converter was properly installed and it was not jammed up during installation.

This car was running AND driving. I parked it Thursday evening without any event and Friday morning...it won't drive.

Original post:

It just stumps me that it was fine 12 hours previous.
Did you jack it up in the rear and disconnect the cable? Then move the shift select right on the transmission and see what it does.
Maybe the converter is shot.

The transmission is not moving fluid Matt, Why is TBD. Get the rear wheels off the ground like Don suggested. I fear the B&M cable shifter deal may be causing an internal problem of some sort… Does that use the proper metal kick down rods? Sorry, I am unfamiliar with them… Every Slap stick I owned worked great.

Yes, it does use the metal kickdown linkage. It is jacked up now. I loosened the transmission cooler return line at the transmission and also at radiator. I get fluid at both places with car running and in neutral, same with pressure line. Tomorrow I will take the pan off and take a look.

Don, I talked with Dave for about an hour. He is stumped also.

Auto Transport Service
Back