• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next installment in the saga

My $5 is on the kickdown lever area of the trans - that or the driveshaft has left the building.

Yes, it does use the metal kickdown linkage. It is jacked up now. I loosened the transmission cooler return line at the transmission and also at radiator. I get fluid at both places with car running and in neutral, same with pressure line. Tomorrow I will take the pan off and take a look.

Don, I talked with Dave for about an hour. He is stumped also.
Be very careful when draining and removing the pan. Look for any small parts like balls or springs before you dump all the fluid. Maybe something in the shift linkage or valve body came apart. Just an idea....

Yes, it does use the metal kickdown linkage. It is jacked up now. I loosened the transmission cooler return line at the transmission and also at radiator. I get fluid at both places with car running and in neutral, same with pressure line. Tomorrow I will take the pan off and take a look.

What does
I get fluid mean.
It's coming out under pressure ? Or dripping.

Does the car roll freely.

It comes out under pressure. The car rolls freely in neutral, in park you can feel it bump off the park pin.

It only cranks in park or reverse.
Is this a typo? Did you mean park or neutral? If it cranks in park and reverse there is a issue. Before you take it apart. I've had the shift cable melt and get bound up. Disconnect the cable both ends and see if it moves freely. You could manually put the trans shift lever in gear with the cable disconnected. Then add a jumper at the starter relay between the neutral safety wire terminal and ground. Be careful and start it in gear. That will elimate any shift adjustment issues. If it doesn't move then, there is an internal trans issue.
Doug

Did you disconnect the cable from the shifter and manually move the shift select right on the transmission?

My $5 is on the kickdown lever area of the trans - that or the driveshaft has left the building.
I checked it earlier this spring he had it adjusted really close to the factory setting. So I'd take the $5 bet.

Oops, park or neutral is the correct statement.

I have had the shifter cable disconnected at both ends and it operates freely. The shift lever on the transmission functions correctly. I am almost positive that something internal has failed. I put the car up on jack stands this morning, preparing to drop transmission pan. I am almost certain this will lead to the removal of transmission. Heck, its only gonna 86 today....a fine day for dropping the transmission.
Well, I got everything diconnected and ready to drop. Last thing was to drain it. Accomplished that and took off the pan...have me a little "look see". Lots of chips. Big ones, small ones, finely powdered stuff too. I grounded aircraft for much less debris than my poor transmission had in it.

Thanks for all the advice gang. I checked everything mentioned multiple times just to make sure I could check that box.
I have learned a lot from all the advice, ideas, and personal observations. Honestly, while hoping I would be wrong...I just had a feeling that this would be the outcome.

Did I mention that this car hates me ?

Last edited:

I have had the shifter cable disconnected at both ends and it operates freely. The shift lever on the transmission functions correctly. I am almost positive that something internal has failed. I put the car up on jack stands this morning, preparing to drop transmission pan. I am almost certain this will lead to the removal of transmission. Heck, its only gonna 86 today....a fine day for dropping the transmission.
Well, I got everything diconnected and ready to drop. Last thing was to drain it. Accomplished that and took off the pan...have me a little "look see". Lots of chips. Big ones, small ones, finely powdered stuff too. I grounded aircraft for much less debris than my poor transmission had in it.

Thanks for all the advice gang. I checked everything mentioned multiple times just to make sure I could check that box.
I have learned a lot from all the advice, ideas, and personal observations. Honestly, while hoping I would be wrong...I just had a feeling that this would be the outcome.

That's awful news. You can borrow my adapter plate if it helps, take the jack as well.
Give Dave another call I'll bet he'll help make it right.
He can probably do a postmortem on it to find what broke.

I checked it earlier this spring he had it adjusted really close to the factory setting. So I'd take the $5 bet.
External adjustment is one thing. The internals connected therein are sometimes another...
and honestly, sort of dainty really. Folks do break the stuff inside adjusting the linkage sometimes?

Oh no, very sorry to read this! :(
Eh, automatics are voodoo to me. I hand the transmission guy a bad one and tell him to give me a good one,
that's about the extent of my knowledge - but I'm pretty good at adjustments because of how Mopar so
strongly relies on proper linkage settings to operate (and survive!).

That aside, I appreciate your updating everyone, as painful as it must be.
Good reference for future site users, too methinks. :thumbsup:

Yup, Dave and I have been talking and texting for the past 2 days ! I left the debris in the pan in case he wants to frame it !

Yup, Dave and I have been talking and texting for the past 2 days ! I left the debris in the pan in case he wants to frame it !
7nt9k7.jpg

Here is one pic of the "pan full" of goodies. The long white piece is a metal shaving.

panning for gold.jpeg

Actually aside from the shaving that's not much.

And there it is....
View attachment 1475045

Damn pump gear teeth broken
I've done that once myself, converter slipped out a little when mating to the engine. Then tightening down the bellhousing bolts broke the pump ears. It screeched for a few seconds after engine start. Now I'm a lot more careful.

That must have been what happened, but it worked fine....until it didn't. My transmission guy is looking through the whole thing and will let me know if there is anything else.
I'm guessing that my TQ is fine. Unless he finds a lot of shrapnel in the unit.

Auto Transport Service
Back