• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Niel Young: True Greatness

I read somewhere Cinnamon Girl was written about the drummer's dog named Cinnamon. Other Neil Young facts (since this thread is about Neil) are: Linda Ronstadt and Nicolette Larson sang back up for him. Nicolette's song Lotta Love is actually a Neil song, however, he got really mad at her when that came out and wouldn't speak to her (so I heard).

More of my favorite Neil tunes (I'm very fond of his acoustic guitar playing) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6pxgB_n4H0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjDc8MJotU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SxjMWAtlpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvbLbqtJ2ZA

As A Canadian, I really like his music. I enjoyed his closing show for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. I liked it that he was playing with train sets with his son who suffered with cerebral-palsy, to the extent that he was part owner of Lionel Trains. He plays everything from light folk to grunge, and does it well. No problems from my point of view. :)

Liberals are the ones ushering in the nanny state...i hardly think Young is an advocate of big brother control freaks....and as Cranky has said earlier liberalism and conservatism have pretty much switched roles today....my point was to hilite the Man's incredible Charisma, influence & POWER babe....call it whatever you want, but i watched Him COW the PHOENIX POLICE.....could YOU do that?? Yeah this is not a political thread & it's not about His or Your politics.....so You don't Like Young for His politics, i don' like government, never have and knew we were going to end up with the absolute MESS that we now endure. Marvelous....NEXT!

Photon.......An earlier poster straightened me up on the mix between Young & Skynard Being Friends....i do stand corrected...i like Happy endings...thas Great

Everyone, Thanks for voicing here, even those Who don't care for Him....that is what makes us ALL Americans....that we can give our version and we can all do it our way. For all my running of my mouth in these threads, You notice You never see me in Political....and You don't want to (stoopid two party smoke & mirror ssssshhhAAAT) Peace

MT John...Self Portrait, i'm well familiar with...One of my all time favorite lyric lines in "I've Been Waiting For You"..." I've been lookin...for a Woman....to saaave mmyy liife. a Woman...with the Feeling...of Losing once or twice" can't fade it><

This one just rolls on...and not one lyric.

[video]https://youtu.be/e4DVOljCpNQ[/video]

RC....since they put up the parking lot?? rof....wink>

If you like him, great. Enjoy. On a scale of 1 to 10 I rate Justin Beiber at around -10,000. I rate Neil even below that. But that's just me.

MT John.....How bout Sugar Mountain. Habib...thanks for the message Man Satman, sorry You don't care for Him. My point of starting the thread was not about His music or His politics or anything else other that i saw HIM DO SOMETHING that FEW would have the cajones to do....t h a t i s a l l....quite simple...i din't post to start fights, disagreements..any thing but admiration for a ballsy move which we all came out on top because of that night. I mean s#it man...David & Goliath kind of thing....took tghe b--ch out with the trash.....never see a sports person do that...i've never seen ANYBODY else do that....it's worthy of respect.
Respect & Like don't always have to be bedfellows....sure would like to think that I could do that someday...hell of a thing

RC....since they put up the parking lot?? rof....wink>

That's really the only song of hers that I like. The rest are unlistenable.

- - - Updated - - -

You're not from around here, are you?

Sounds like a trick question. Without an "eh" at the end of your question makes me wonder if you are a real Canuck?

My grandparents owned several radio stations in Western PA, so I grew up listening to just about everything from Vaughn Monroe (grandma's favorite) to AC/DC, so I'm more focused on the mechanics of singing than most people, and I never liked Young because frankly... he sucks at singing. His voice his horrible, and he's like a lot of songwriters who think because they can write music they can sing it, and they can't. Michael Bolton, Carole King, and a lot of others fall into this category as well, and what I find is they end up with lots of fans who like their music because they're supposed to like it, or because it's hip to like it, or they like the message behind it, which is all cool by me, but to me their music still sounds like someone drawing fingernails across a chalkboard.

Given a choice between Neil Young and someone with the talents of Barry Manilow? Manilow's da man! :)

Given a choice between Neil Young and someone with the talents of Barry Manilow? Manilow's da man! :)

large.jpg

Neil's voice is certainly unique. He's no singer in the sense of a voice, but it works for him and him alone. Not sure how else to describe him. He has a sound that you either like or hate. For me it's his acoustic guitar playing, how he voices his chords and basic song melody and delivery. It's an art form and I like it. Another great example of someone with no voice is Janis Joplin, however, she can sing and I really like her music! I am very particular about music and tend to not judge on one factor alone. Now, Michael Bolton (and in general that over produced crap) really gets under my skin!! If we were all the same life would be pretty dull.

Here's another Neil Young/Lynyrd Skynyrd factoid: he wanted to give the song "Powderfinger" for them to do on their next album, then the plane crash happened.

Politics aside, I admire people who do what they want and let the chips fall where they may. I mean, he got sued by his own record company, Geffen Records, in the 1980s for "making music uncharacteristic of Neil Young". Geffen just wanted the same old thing record after record and he wasn't going to let anyone put him in a box.

As a parent of special needs kids myself, I admire the way he has raised his special needs kids, doing everything he can to give them the best quality of life possible (and I'm not just talking about monetary stuff).

And he's a car guy in the truest sense. Not a rich car guy like Leno or Seinfeld. Neil has enough bucks to buy the exotic stuff and the highly collectible stuff like them but what does he collect? A bunch of old four doors, old jeeps, trucks, hearses.

Auto Transport Service
Back