• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Niel Young: True Greatness

Bladecutter

"Pursuit of Shape"
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
I'd like to share the experience of a random evening i spent in the Presence of Niel Young, i stress Presence, because this night He was in Control. This will be somewhat long winded, i'll economize as much as i can........

1973...i had a 65 Buick special that i had bought off a lot in Tucson for 125.00 w/ a broke windshield which was 40.00 installed, straight beige car w/ V-6. i was on road headed back to Tucson from Bay Area....had a couple lbs of da wack colombo and an lb of actual acapulco gold. (statute of limitations is long ago passed on this, so i choose to set the stage correctly....i am an outlaw) When i fueled in Phoenix, i called a Friend i had grown with in Tucson to say wussup....He was headed down to colliseum to catch Niel Young on Harvest Tour(Love "A Man Needs a Maid")So being loose i said i'd head down and try to hook up.......$7.50 for show....got a decent seat about mid-ring...no opening band.......so i'm sitting there w/ my pipe and some of the chocalate wack lumbo, takin hits & spying for my Bud, saw His Sister on floor in center. Lights go down & Niel comes out to do His accoustic solo stuff before He and Crazy Horse shift into overdrive. This night was the night that PHX PD decides to jamb up people for smokin dope, a first.....so all these little skirmishes are busting out in various parts of colliseum,flaslights bouncing light all over and noise that was f$%^&n with Niel....He was having to interrupt Himself to address the situations repeatedly....He finally had enough, put His Guitar down and said give me the f$%^&n house lights. He was howling pissed off. He went into a diatribe about how we didn't have to take this ****, He sure wasn't going to, consequently He had everybody stomping that concrete bitch and chant shouting no, no ,no.....when the s*it was just bristling, about to scatter full chaos, He threw His arms & You could hear a pin drop & He sez, i'll be right back.......He went out there and told the cops how it was going to be....hey You got a lot of pissed off people out there right now, You're f$%^&n with my ART & living, i've been interrupted several times now and i'n not f$%^&n toleratin the s*it, so YOU f$%^&n back down or I"M LEAVING & that out there is all Yours to deal with. Niel came back out on stage and said OK, we had a set-to and the cops have agreed to stay on outer ring barring any physical disturbances, smoke dope, they're off that BS now....if i hear one more f$%^&n sound other than my guitar and own voice in my accoustic set, it's on You a$$holes & i'm leaving....i don't give a s*it what You do after crazY hOrSe fires up. That, as Ski-ster likes to say, My Friends is HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jack Nietzche & Graham Nash were there too and the night cooked, hooked up w/ my Friend afterwards. for seven dollars and fifty cents........major....i wuz wondering for a minute if it was really going to get out of hand........the Guy is a Master of Reality & He has never sold out. He did a song in the 80's, can't place the title, but some lyric was, 'i don'tsing for miller,...i don't sing for bud....true blue ragbutt beat the city of phoenix......one of those Lucky moments in my life to have wittnessed the phenomenon.

As far as the animosity for Young that Lynard Skynard as,."Sweet Home Alabama"(not fond of tune) I'm in Niel's corner. Very best Skynard....Poison Whiskey.....i Know a Little.....Ain't No Good Life" As far as integrity...Skynard is now an also ran..they're so burnt out...lifeless performances..all mechanix.....Niel's still injecting Nitro into His performances & the Man does Good things with His money & influence......He plays an honest, durty guitar.......Hello Cowgirl in the Sand......

I LOVE Neil Young!
Cowgirl
Cinnamon Girl
Lotta Love
Like a Hurricane
From Hank to Hendrix
Powder finger :Look out, Mama, there's a white boatcomin' up the river
With a big red beacon,and a flag,and a man on the rail
I think you'd better call John,'Cause it don'tlook like they're here to deliver the mail
And it's less than a mile away I hope they didn't come to stay
t's got numbers on the side and a gun
And it's makin' big waves

One of the many gifts my dad gave me was his love for Neil He was the biggest Neil young fan since he first heard "Helpless" he bought almost every record as a young guy I am amazed at how he can write some of those songs his lyrics are just Beautiful After The Gold Rush Album is one of those masterpiece Records

And he's also part owner of Lionel trains, my next favorite winter activity.

I remember Powder Finger on the radio a few times a week.

Never hear that one anymore.

To me that's quintessential Young.

As far as the animosity for Young that Lynard Skynard as,."Sweet Home Alabama"(not fond of tune) I'm in Niel's corner.

There was no animosity. They were all buds in real life. Neil got the joke and even thought being poked fun at was well-deserved. He stopped playing his song "Alabama" that started it all. There's even some Youtube of Neil playing bits of "Sweet Home Alabama" live back in the '70s. Ronnie wore a Neil Young "Tonight's the Night" when Skynyrd played live and there's even rumors he was buried in it.

Wow....pretty kwik responses...see i got edited or He got edited since i was relating in context. 67 Satty...Thanks for the clue cuz i was w/o...Van Zant buried in A Niel shirt...is an eye opener. Sorry i'm hard on Skynard...just the last handul of performances i saw....They just were not init.. Satty, You right down the road from not far....i'm in Homeland near Hemet
MeepMeep. Thanks for reminding me of the title
Ski-ster...always a Pleasure Boss
RC. i'll check it
69A100...into trains eh...right on...i had a ton of Lionel....seems vaguely familiar that i knew He had an interest in modeling & seem to remember He is financially invested in LIonel.
YY1....what a Great Name huh....POWDERFINGER
Habib, i'm Glad Your Dad turned You on to Him
Bud..nice to hear from You....Buffalo Springfield was a very good band
Pop's....Sorry, not for everyone i guess.....Hippies were the True conservatives....the word Hippie only meant "to be aware"...a critical thinker and all We said was to throttle the consumerism frezny back before we ended up exactly where we are....i may be a member of the "Great Unwashed Generation" but i guarantee You i Have Paid My Dues in this Life, i just listened to Eisenhower & Understood His warning to America.....being a Hippie was not about drugs & loose sex...that's the media version, and if You din't live the Life, You Can't Know. There WERE ETHICS involved....look where big brother has us now.
I Am a Hippie....NOT a political liberal.....my politics aren't anybody elses 'cept mine
i believe in the sovereignty of individuals....piss on the aluminaughty

Hey Bladecutter, I think the song title you're looking for was 'This Note's For You'
Oops, the video's already gone up so I'll edit this:)

Neil and Lynard Skynard actually got along fairly well, Neil has even sung 'Sweet Home Alabama' on stage. I like the way you can't pigeon-hole his music...you can't tell what the next album will sound like compared to the current one. He got booted from Geffen Records for that, they said his music wasn't commercial enough. That video above was from his first album AFTER leaving Geffen, and it sold like crazy.

Man...what a bunch of memories!! Yup, there's a lot of.....hate to say it but liberal songs that many liked back in the day and I'm one of them even though I've always thought of myself being somewhat conservative. Thing is most of those songs back then made many of us stand up and take notice of what was happening during those times and many of us didn't like what was going on even tho liberalism and conservatism did not hold the same meaning as they do today. Also, what songs are being recorded these days that are bringing out our awareness today like those song did?? Hell, I dunno because I don't listen to very much of the new stuff these days because it's so negative. Maybe I'm missing something?? I was a teen during the major fighting of the VN war but got drafted when I was nearly 21 and for sure didn't want to go but I did get into the military (AF) regardless and am proud of it. I have a cousin that was a paramedic in 65 and he won't ever speak about it. Ah ****.....think I'll have another beer.....

Probably not one of the most popular but I grew up listening to the "Comes A Time" album and its still one of my favorites.

As A Canadian, I believe Neil Young is an ***. He is one of a few Canadians I have no respect for whatsoever.

As A Canadian, I believe Neil Young is an ***. He is one of a few Canadians I have no respect for whatsoever.

Ouch. He's up there with Joni Mitchell and Gordon Lightfoot as a National treasure as far as (singer/songwriter) artists go.

To each their own I suppose.

Auto Transport Service
Back