• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

nitrous

jhowell34

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
anybody here running n20 on their cars? im building a 451 for my charger and was looking at pistons n rings that can hold on 100-200shot but i dont wanna spend over 300bucks on pistons and the keith black pistons look like a great deal

If you cheap out on your parts for running even a 100 shot, you will be rebuilding the thing in short order. The KB hypers are better than a regular cast piston but forged is the only way to go. You do not what the N2O to handle your engine but you want the engine built to handle the N2O....

Save yer money$$$$$$$ and do it right the 1st time:idea1:Otherwise it'll cost much more in the long run:icon_hang:

Forged pistons and good rods..no problem to about a 200 shot. I have probably ran 30 bottles thru my Ram SRT-10 on factory cast pistons at a 150 shot. MoPars love the stuff.

hmmm i have a mid 70s 440 with a decent size cam in it and i was wondering what kind of shot it could handle ? i was thinking 100 hit because the pistons are stock but its a brand new motor basicly has been freshly rebuilt

hmmm i have a mid 70s 440 with a decent size cam in it and i was wondering what kind of shot it could handle ? i was thinking 100 hit because the pistons are stock but its a brand new motor basicly has been freshly rebuilt

100 shot should be very safe. Use good gas and back the timing up a couple degrees.

Small shots are usually ok with cast pistons but if anything ever goes wrong, you'll toast them in a heart beat.....forged will usually take a few screw ups before burning up and with N2O, something will go wrong at one time or another....either mechanical or you will. If a person has been running a small shot on cast pistons and has been doing it for a couple of years or so, you're the exception and not the rule.

I still wouldn't run a 200 shot with cast pistons tho.....100 yeah but I start getting edgy with 150.

It's not cheap. My dad runs nos on his 99' mustang, cost about 40-50bucks to fill his 15lb bottle last about 4-5 passes when he runs 125shot. And he usually only purges on his first pass. Also check your states laws on it. Here in jersey it's supposedly illegal but no ones ever said anything.

There was an older guy (I'm getting there) that came out to the track in the early 80's that ran a 62 Mercury Meteor 6 banger in brackets. He wouldn't use the gas until you caught up and put your bumper out on him and then he'd hit it about 100' before the line. He won a lot of rounds lol

Usually up to a 125 shot of Nitrous is about the safe cut off point for cast pistons.

100hp to 150hp on cast pistons is fine. i did it for years and several passes. there are a few key issues. proper ring gap for n2o, good fuel,good fuel delivery,colder plugs with a narrower gap, good ignition system and setting the timing back enough. everyone, including nos used to say 2 degrees for every 50hp but that is way wrong. with a 100hp shot you should not run anymore than 26 degrees TOTAL advance. don't richen your jets on the carb as well. that is a whole separate system. jet it for what it likes without n2o and leave it alone. use the factory setting for your n2o system. they are usually a bit on the rich side to begin with. if you get on nos website and look up a cheater system, you can download the instructions and you will see their newest formula for running the n2o. very specific on timing,plug range,fuel selection,jetting and what parts can handle what.

are you running nitrous 9sec? whats it like ive been in all motor cars and trubo cars but never a nitrous car

100hp to 150hp on cast pistons is fine. i did it for years and several passes. there are a few key issues. proper ring gap for n2o, good fuel,good fuel delivery,colder plugs with a narrower gap, good ignition system and setting the timing back enough. everyone, including nos used to say 2 degrees for every 50hp but that is way wrong. with a 100hp shot you should not run anymore than 26 degrees TOTAL advance. don't richen your jets on the carb as well. that is a whole separate system. jet it for what it likes without n2o and leave it alone. use the factory setting for your n2o system. they are usually a bit on the rich side to begin with. if you get on nos website and look up a cheater system, you can download the instructions and you will see their newest formula for running the n2o. very specific on timing,plug range,fuel selection,jetting and what parts can handle what.

Very good advice here^^^!!! No matter what anybody tells you, do not err on the rich side! Follow the new instructions and you will have a happy tune up!

I decided not to run n2o on my car. Now I have a nice unused polished aluminum bottle and bracket on hand. In fact I removed the fuel cell as well as aeromotive pump and filter. As a result, I have all for sale. All unused items. They were only installed, never used/filled. PM me for photos if interested

Auto Transport Service
Back