• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NO BULL; how fast was a B-body 383 HP car compared to a GTO or a Chevelle SS 396 car?

new '65 tri-power 4spd GTO (this was like giving a kid a hand grenade to play with). there's hasn't been a sound any sweeter than those 3 rochesters at WOT!.
Try hearing that intake/carb setup at WOT on a built 421!
BUT...My 70 Roadrunner 440+6 at WOT is much sweeter, and louder!

as i recall (a long time ago) all three were close with the 396/325 hp Chevelles being quite lazy.
Back in the day some ran great and some not so good...tuning was key.Having said that, gears really seemed to wake up the stock 383 RR's.There was a stock 383 '68 RR that ran at our track.With 4.10 gears it was a good one,very fast...and dipped well in to the 13's!
Those Dam little 340's were very quick!

Having said that, gears really seemed to wake up the stock 383 RR's.There was a stock 383 '68 RR that ran at our track.With 4.10 gears it was a good one,very fast...and dipped well in to the 13's!
As noted, my best buddy's 70 N96 4 speed 383 RR had a dual plane aluminum intake, purple stripe hydraulic cam 284/.480" lift and 3.90 gears w/an adjustable snubber he put in with headers too and 275/something 14s. Ran mid 13s and 1st gear was a mix of spinning and some forward motion, but 2nd was a rocket launch. My 70 440+6 is better, but ran about the same times with a 3.54 on street tires. 315/35/17s made a big improvement on my RR.

Auto Transport Service
Back