• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No exhaust coming out!

I bought a used 440 last winter and I put it in my 70 road runner last weekend. Here is my problem. I got it fired up and it seemed like it was only running on 6 or 7 cylinders. I ran it for 20-30 minutes, turning it off occasionly to check timimg, etc. I noticed that the exhaust manifold on the passenger side was very hot to the touch. Yet the driver side was hardly even warm. I could hold my hand on it becasue it was so cool!. I started it again and crawled under it to check the exhaust coming out of the exhaust manifold(there are no exhaust pipes on it yet) Almost nothing was coming out of the driver side but on the passenger side it was coming out stronly and it was hot. I am going to start on it this morning and check it out some more. I was thinking blown head gasket, cam lobes worn? Everything is new, cap, wires, electronic ignition, spark plugs. I checked the firing order again thinking I messed up on the wires, that's okay. I revs up okay but it could be better. Any ideas guys? Thanks, Steve

UPDATE: I took the D/side valve cover off and here's what I found!

440 Chrysler.jpg

Seven of the pushrods and lifters were laying in the valley close to the holes they came out of so I am not worried that I put them back in the wrong holes. I flipped up 3 of the rockers before I took this pic. The only thing I can figure is that the rocker arm shaft bolts were not tightened when the previous owner had taken them off for whatever reason, and they all slowly unthreaded about 1/2 inch. I fished out the lifters and rockers with a telescopic magnet and put it back together and it runs fine. No knocks, no oil smoke coming out of the manifolds. And the driver side gets as hot as the passenger side now. Easy fix, but it was hard to figure what was going on until I pulled off the cover. This is only the third motor in my lifetime that I have bought and put it into the car without rebuilding it.

Last edited:
I think I would be taking the other valve cover off to check things out over there as well.

I don't think I'd be stopping there either Joel ! Can't believe that would run with 4 cylinders not moving valves.

I wonder if he backed them off to take the load off the springs for storage?

View attachment 946664

Seven of the pushrods and lifters were laying in the valley! I flipped up 3 of the rockers before I took this pic. The only thing I can figure is that the rocker arm shaft bolts were not tightened when the previous had them off for whatever reason. I fished out the lifters and rockers with a telescopic magnet and put it back together and it runs fine. No knocks, no oil smoke coming out of the manifolds. And the driver side gets as hot as the passenger side now. Easy fix, but it was hard to figure what was going on until I pulled off the cover!
your fuel mileage is going to get worse if you fix that!

View attachment 946664

Seven of the pushrods and lifters were laying in the valley! I flipped up 3 of the rockers before I took this pic. The only thing I can figure is that the rocker arm shaft bolts were not tightened when the previous had them off for whatever reason. I fished out the lifters and rockers with a telescopic magnet and put it back together and it runs fine. No knocks, no oil smoke coming out of the manifolds. And the driver side gets as hot as the passenger side now. Easy fix, but it was hard to figure what was going on until I pulled off the cover!
There you have it! Did anybody guess that one?

Never. Does kind of sound like something that could happen to me however. I seem to have stretches of bad luck with these old jalopies.

70chall440 called that one pretty accurately. One other thing....if the lifters were laying in the valley and they were reinstalled, how is it possible they were reinstalled in the exact same bores as when the cam was broken in?

70chall440 called that one pretty accurately. One other thing....if the lifters were laying in the valley and they were reinstalled, how is it possible they were reinstalled in the exact same bores as when the cam was broken in?
What oil pressure!

Can't believe it started and revved "ok". Had a 440 blow-up racing and when the rod broke off the crank at 5700rpms it came through the valley pan and broke the cam shaft in 1/2... After it grenaded It still "physically" started and ran but it was VERY rough with zero oil pressure and what was left of the oil pan still held what water and oil was left...

Auto Transport Service
Back