• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No heater core or heater system

2blader

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
So I bought a 1969 Super Bee almost a year ago. Beautiful car, great powertrain. Fixing some dumb stuff and going over it. The car had NO heater core, nothing, no heater box or any of the parts necessary to get heat. Everything was blocked off under the dash. The car runs fine BUT I like to have heat as I drive year around and if the car runs hot I can run the heat to help the car. NOTHING is the car is stock so an aftermarket setup is fine. What is the best route to go? Stock or the heat and defrost system from Vintage air? I am NOT interested in AC. The car is a NON A/C car with a Hemi in it. There are NO provisions in the firewall for the heater hoses. They closed them up when they smoothed the firewall. THX in advance Scott

You’ll have to make the firewall openings again and I would look for a stock b body heater box for ease of fitment. Shouldn’t be hard to find used…..

Well there's more than just that to it ...

If they smoothed the firewall, did they also get rid of the small bulge for the blower motor? If so, then you'll need to do a bit more work to get a stock heater box to fit. See attached.

april 2014 001 (2016_11_22 02_37_15 UTC).jpg april 2014 002 (2016_11_22 02_37_15 UTC).jpg

My thoughts: I don't know if I'd undo that work, especially the metalwork on the firewall, just to have heat a couple months out of the year. And, you shouldn't rely on a heater system if your engine runs "hot", you're going to put the heat on when it's 90 degrees out ?

maybe a dumb question.... but are you positive you don't have a heater delete hemi car?

My thoughts: I don't know if I'd undo that work, especially the metalwork on the firewall, just to have heat a couple months out of the year. And, you shouldn't rely on a heater system if your engine runs "hot", you're going to put the heat on when it's 90 degrees out ?
I have NO intention of undoing the work on the firewall after seeing the pix. I don't rely on the heater but it does help if you have an unforeseen issue.....been there done that. I would put the heat on in 110 degrees if I got stuck in **** traffic and the car was hot you friggin bet. Car is more important than my comfort. ...but no I do not go out in the hottest part of the day. I may take a shot at the aftermarket box since its fairly cheap at $300.

Thank you all for your input as I have some thinkin to do....I may just do nothing for now. Appreciate it guys. Scott.

Having "bin there and dun that" I would never have a car without a heater. A heater is more than just a heater, its also a defroster ... which comes in handy when the windshield fogs up in the cool mornings or evenings or, heaven forbid, you're caught in a surprise downpour.

I saw a few different ones from Jegs that fit under the dash. I am currently working on a Square body Chevy with the same situation, somebody took out all the under dash stuff. When I saw this post, I googled it and that's what popped up. They look pretty good and simple to me... at least for a truck, probably for a car too.

I used Old Air Products heat/defrost/AC in my 68 RR build and now have the stock heater/defrost assembly if it is needed by someone. It would need cleaned etc before use. Just puttin it out there! ruffcut

I used Old Air Products heat/defrost/AC in my 68 RR build and now have the stock heater/defrost assembly if it is needed by someone. It would need cleaned etc before use. Just puttin it out there! ruffcut
Appreciate it but since the fire wall was smoothed the indents for some items are no longer there. Not gonna redent it….its too nice.

Yup the one from VINTAGE air is similar. I think I am gonna pass for now as I have enuff projects goin on with the car so I will wait.

Yup the one from VINTAGE air is similar. I think I am gonna pass for now as I have enuff projects goin on with the car so I will wait.
Looks like it still needs your hoses from the water pump to work.

Auto Transport Service
Back