• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No low beam headlights

DAD082E6-BDC5-4369-AA76-0239ED1B58FE.jpeg
Shot some directly onto bulkhead connector, then into the dimmer switch. Got lights. Drive with one hand on the Halon.

Be careful not to breathe in Halon....it depletes oxygen rapidly....and that includes what is in your lungs.
Trust me, been there when an old halon system was accidentally discharged in a computer room back in the early 90's.
It ain't pretty and you're on the floor before you even know what happened...
as you say, it works by removing ALL air from wherever it spreads and it does so amazingly fast.

Halon production has been a no-no since 1994 and the installation of new halon systems have been against Code
in buildings since then; it's only legal to maintain existing systems and has been for many years now.
Several other types of systems have taken their place in occupied spaces, such as FM200 and Inergen, both of which
are also quite effective, yet a little more human friendly (yes, I've been in a demonstration room for Inergen and
lived through that little boo boo as well).

It would take a couple of minutes to look under dash at Bulk connector to see any wires pushed inside. That is how I found my problem. Or it's corrosion.

Last edited:
Trust me, been there when an old halon system was accidentally discharged in a computer room back in the early 90's.
Been there too....my workmate accidentally discharged while showing me how to safely dis-arm the system. Never seen Computer Geeks move so fast. Guys leaping out of windows and all....lucky it was a single story building. :D
Cost our company about $600 for a refill - back in 1988.

Been there too....my workmate accidentally discharged while showing me how to safely dis-arm the system. Never seen Computer Geeks move so fast. Guys leaping out of windows and all....lucky it was a single story building. :D
Cost our company about $600 for a refill - back in 1988.
I was witness to a crew dismantling a system in a college computer room back in the day.
While chatting with some administrator, I heard a wrench drop in the next room and instinctively grabbed
the admin guy and hit the floor.
Good thing, too - those systems totally evacuate themselves in a few seconds.
Even as we were on the floor and crawling rapidly towards the door, it almost had me (I was last out).

Inergen on the other hand, you can actually remain in the room during a discharge.
It's not the optimum situation and you don't want to, of course, but it can be done - you at least have enough
time to get out of the room.

Now I am curious....What effect does Halon have on people? Does it just make you pass out quickly or does it kill?

We had a rolling mill with mineral oil sprays to cool rolls and the metal being rolled. The mill had a Halon fire suppression system. There 10 bottles 14" diameter and 5 ft high. Guy goofed and hit something and set the system off. They got out area ok but thousands to fix and refill cylinders .

Now I am curious....What effect does Halon have on people? Does it just make you pass out quickly or does it kill?
It works by totally removing the oxygen from the air. You do the math. :)

If you don't get air PDQ after the Halon goes off, you are DEAD!!! I worked in a Halon protected building and was told to hold my breath, drop what I was dong, and get to an exit!!!!

Got it. Pretty damn quick and drop your dong.

Trying not to hijack the thread but coldfire extinguishers work great and no mess or damage. They are somewhat biological friendly and don't take up much space.

If he has high beams, that rules out the feed to the dimmer. Check output at dimmer and bulkhead connector. That would be the problem areas to look at as they are the only breaks in the wiring. Headlights ground through the same wires, high and low.

If he has high beams, that rules out the feed to the dimmer. Check output at dimmer and bulkhead connector. That would be the problem areas to look at as they are the only breaks in the wiring. Headlights ground through the same wires, high and low.
has wiring ever been replaced in car?

It would take a couple of minutes to look under dash at Bulk connector to see any wires pushed inside. That is how I found my problem. Or it's corrosion.

Yep. Same with the ignition switch, wiper switch, etc. Very easy to push each connection in with an awl or a pick.

has wiring ever been replaced in car?
No. M+H is on the shelf waiting. Now has what is left of the hacked up original. There is a box under the hood to support some add ons. It’s now running the computer to support the EFI too.

I and many others have done the ammeter bypass and installed an inexpensive headlight wiring harness with relays to address dim lighting issues.

Have you done that?

Auto Transport Service
Back