• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No more Cokes for me. Hospital visit.

I am a Coke addict. I probably drink 6 cans a day. usually Coke Zero or Diet Coke, not the straight stuff. Genetically I have a propensity for kidney stones. My grandfather had them and my kids get them. I think this was my 6th kidney stone. Yesterday morning I felt one coming on. I know my urine had been pure blood. No big deal I had some Flomax left over from last time. By 11:00 am the pain was horrible. If it wasn't a ten it was at least a nine. I had my neighbor friend take me to the local ER place. They couldn't do much and sent me to the big hospital in my area. By the afternoon I was throwing up from the pain. The hospital gave me three injections of morphine so I could at least lay still for a CT scan. My daughter came down and took over for my neighbor.

Definitely a kidney stone in my urine tract and they said my kidney was full of smaller stones. That was it. I'm not going through that pain again. No more Cokes for me!
On a serious note, please do so. Good to hear of your decision, and hope you find the strength and resolve to do so for you well-being. Best wishes to you !

I've been down this road. Any "brown" soda is bad if you are predisposed to kidney stones. Too much sugar is just as bad. I had an attack a few weeks ago and while the stone passed, my right kidney and urter were inflamed and bleeding. Compared to broken bones, GSW, broken teeth, I think a kidney stone is a full 10. My body puts out some much endorphins, I'm nauseous and drooling. I get morphine rather than fentanyl. The fentanyl leave me delirious and doesn't lower my BP like morphine. The last episode, a nurse remarked how I tolerated the pain and was so tough. I explained that I ran out of tears on the way to the ER. :praying:

I am a Coke addict. I probably drink 6 cans a day. usually Coke Zero or Diet Coke, not the straight stuff. Genetically I have a propensity for kidney stones. My grandfather had them and my kids get them. I think this was my 6th kidney stone. Yesterday morning I felt one coming on. I know my urine had been pure blood. No big deal I had some Flomax left over from last time. By 11:00 am the pain was horrible. If it wasn't a ten it was at least a nine. I had my neighbor friend take me to the local ER place. They couldn't do much and sent me to the big hospital in my area. By the afternoon I was throwing up from the pain. The hospital gave me three injections of morphine so I could at least lay still for a CT scan. My daughter came down and took over for my neighbor.

Definitely a kidney stone in my urine tract and they said my kidney was full of smaller stones. That was it. I'm not going through that pain again. No more Cokes for me!

Been there, done that!

Over twenty years ago I was working at a place that had free sodas all day, all week. I was up to three to four Cokes a day.

One day I started feeling a pain in my side and it resonated to my groin. We had been lifting I-beams all day and I was thinking I was developing a hernia. As I left work, heading up the road, the pain was getting worse. I detoured to the hospital and walked into the emergency room. I was in excruciating pain. They took me back and eventually gave me an IV drip of pain killer. An orderly came in, raised the side rails on my gurney and wheeled me down to radiology for a CT. I was still in a lot of pain, nauseating pain to where I had to throw up.

I was wheeled back to the ER where a nurse was waiting. She asked how I was doing and I could barely reply. She checks out the IV line and discovered it was pinched off in the gurney side rail. (Where's that orderly!) She straightened it out and almost immediately I began to feel relief from the pain.

Actually within an hour the pain was totally gone. The doctor came in and said the CT showed a stone. It all started to make sense to where the pain had been coming from. I told the Dr I wasn't experiencing any pain now. He said you probably passed it. I said I haven't even been to the bathroom, how could I have passed it? He explained that the pain comes from the stone moving from the kidney to the bladder. Once it drops into the bladder it's just a matter of pissing it out. I'm sure we're talking about an average size stone.

Next day I went to a urologist who said to me. "Now you're a stone producer and you shouldn't drink anything but water!" He gave me a strainer to piss through to catch the stone and they wanted it when I returned for a follow up. Two days later I pissed the stone out into the strainer and guess what? It looked exactly like the color of Coke. That's all I had to see to quit drinking it from that time on. I've never had any more problems with a stone since. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself)

I don’t drink soda but a few times a year it’s bad ****. Hope ya feel better. That being said I heard they were investigating something about coke recently…

Good thing I'm not predisposed to kidney stones!
Currently in my fridge, four beers, a twelve of wally brand cola (full sugar, as that's all I'll drink) wally Dr Pepper, whats left of a 24 of wally rootbeer, a gallon of Lipton unsweetened tea. I'm used to the offbrand stuff, actually prefer it to coke or Pepsi.
No doubt, probably not good for me, but I've been doing 5-10 sodas a day for 50 years, no bad effects yet, and I'm 6'3" 190, so not too fat yet.
I am considering more tea-less soda. BIDINFLATION has driven 24 can case from $5 for years under Trump, to $8.25. By my count that's about 62% (not quite 8% biden, you asshole!)

During my youth, on the streets of Brooklyn, I became addicted to LSD. Started early in my youth, and lasted to my early twenties. Everyone told me, and read much about it, that my daily intake of LSD would have devastating health affects, possibly leading to death. I decided to end this desire to ingest that LSD then and can proudly say I haven't had any since then. Nope, my days of coca-cola and pepsi are long gone. Those Liquid Sugar Drinks are killers !
Damn, you had me going until the last sentence!
I was going to shout “Brother!” and high five you. I was a LSD guy, but the other kind. Loved it, did over forty different kinds of it. Miss it, but now that I’m all grown up I don’t have three days to devote to getting all effed up. Sigh.

Damn, you had me going until the last sentence!
I was going to shout “Brother!” and high five you. I was a LSD guy, but the other kind. Loved it, did over forty different kinds of it. Miss it, but now that I’m all grown up I don’t have three days to devote to getting all effed up. Sigh.
Thanks, you made my day. I use this fun "story" often, and get the response as you just did. It's an ironic story actually. I grew up in the midst of drugs in the streets as a youth in the 60's...Kids I grew up with were high on pills, were lying on the sidewalks with tracks in their arms.. uppers, downers, heroin, lsd, anything and everything. I saw first hand the results, with one of my friends eventually dying from an infected needle. I watched, right in front of my eyes, lives being destroyed by drugs. So, in that sense I have genuine empathy for anyone who's succumbed to the evils of drugs. I'm glad you've made it through.

Last edited:
I had what I described as "Roaming arthritis." One week my knee would swell. Another an ankle. Or even feet, hands and even neck. Doctor could not explain. Or help. One night I was watching one of them late night shows on home remedies. And that topic came up. They said its too much sugar in the diet. I wondered. "Could it be the 6+ cans of Pepsi I drink everyday?" I switched to Diet Mountain Dew and that problem ceased almost immediately. (Thus still keeping my caffeine. Which is actually the real addiction.)

But now of course I'm wondering what is the consequence of going to an even more chemical based product? The only thing ive noticed is my piss smells funny. Almost a sulfer type smell. Doctor of course had the only answer he ever says. "Stop" And/or a pill recommendation.

After a decent examination. I turned to him and said. "I have been coming for checkups for 40+ years to modern medicine facilities. And not once have any of you asked about my diet. Conditioning and strength coaching do at gyms. But not once from medical professionals.

I closed with. Saying to my doctor; "Maybe you all should look into holistic and other natural remedies to see if they have merit?" "I'm not suggesting to replace modern medicine. Especially in a triage situations. But perhaps as preventative?" "Because you don't seem too good at that!"

Im guessing if I was obviously over weight. Or diagnosed with diabetes or other aliment they would suggest a nutritionist. But noothing from inital examination.

Just my observations.

Last edited:
Thanks, you made my day. I use this fun "story" often, and get the response as you just did. It's an ironic story actually. I grew up in the midst of drugs in the streets as a youth in the 60's...Kids I grew up with were high on pills, were lying on the sidewalks with tracks in their arms.. uppers, downers, heroin, lsd, anything and everything. I saw first hand the results, with one of my friends eventually dying from an infected needle. I watched, right in front of my eyes, lives being destroyed by drugs. So, in that sense I have genuine empathy for anyone who's succumbed to the evils of drugs. I'm glad you've made it through.
I can’t imagine kids doing now what we did then. They are putting fentanyl in everything and killing people. I would be dead for sure just because of the quantities that we did eventually it would have got us.
I did see the damage that speed and heroin did, and oneguy did bad acid. But I was lucky.
Haven’t touched any of that stuff in more then thirty years and times have certainly changed.

I see you didn’t heed the warning.
Coke themselves said you should be less white. That made me quit drinking Coke products. Sorry for your pain, hope you feel better soon. View attachment 1498796
I do hope everyone here is smart enough to know this is a complete hoax. Digitally altered picture.

Last edited:
For me, it was immediately after the fall. The Pepsi in the fridge was the same.
I used to drink the "Real Sugar" formula because it was slightly sweeter and tasted like it did when I was a kid before high fructose corn syrup became the default sweetener.
I used to drink 2 1/2 to 3 with dinner.
The real sugar formula was suddenly too sweet. I tried the hfcs formula...even that was too sweet.
Even my Dr is confused about that. Apparently, I'm just weird.

View attachment 1498897
Does Mary know where you keep the antifreeze? Are the levels in the containers the same or going down for no reason?:lol:

Gotsta have more water. Putting a bit of lemon in, supposedly, helps keep the stones away. I drink a pot of coffee everyday in the morning. After that, its water for awhile. Sometimes I'll get a Diet Pepsi, squeeze some lemon in as thats my favorite way. A beer or Vodka drink in the afternoon followed by more water the rest of my awake time.
Straight water does get old and sometimes does not quench/refresh you no matter how much you suck down. Along with the lemon, slices of Cucumber in the water are great too for thirst quenching.
We need to hang out in the afternoon!

Never had kidney stones in my old age, and guess I'm thankful about that.
Doctors at the VA have talked to me in the past, in regards about them.
I used to be a heavy Pepsi drinker all the time, and never produced kidney stones, thank goodness.
But i haven't drank a Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper, any soft drink, in four months now, since the first week in April when i started dieting.
Lost 30 pounds of weight off my body, by not drinking any sodas, eating smarter, eating less, and walking more miles around the hood.

I did actually drink a lot of Diet Pepsi...prefer Pepsi to Coke...but gave it up when I developed serious Gout attacks and took the advice to start drinking the Nectar of the Gods...Good Ol' H2O and really don't drink it near as much as back then. Occasionally I do like a glass of it for what I call a "Burper" and usually pick up a liter of it, which then sits for months at a time before my next Burper, and it is way flat!!! It's a waste but now that I consume mainly water throughout the day, I don't miss soda at all anymore. A long time ago I passed a Stone and my urethra burned and hurt every time I took a pee. It subsided after a few days and I have not had an incident since. I do have some real Coke in my extra fridge that I only use when I am say cooking up some baked beans or slow-cooking something where I will make a BBQ sauce with it. But other than that. no sodas for me anymore...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Kidney stones are a ******.. i have had them a few times... ask for dilaudid next time you go to the hospital.. makes morphine look like a aspirin. The best thing i did for my life was stopping drink coke (and pop in general) i lost 7# in 1 week.. mood swings stopped and i felt better all around.. good luck!

Hope you're on the mend soon. H2O is the way to go.

shooting-coke-with-gun-72tpyry4l6q30kjn.gif

Sorry for your troubles but 6 cans... you're just a novice. Now that I cut it 50/50 with water I go through 3.5 Litres of diet Pepsi a day.... so you know from that I've drank about 6l a day for over 30 years. I've aways said that coke was good for nothing but rusty nuts!

Kidney stones are a ******.. i have had them a few times... ask for dilaudid next time you go to the hospital.. makes morphine look like a aspirin. The best thing i did for my life was stopping drink coke (and pop in general) i lost 7# in 1 week.. mood swings stopped and i felt better all around.. good luck!
Hmm, I researched dilaudin vs morphine, The first is more potent and the latter lasts longer. We need a practical test. Seeing how we both can fake the symptoms, you visit Massachusetts in the fall and I'll take you to Mass Central. RC can be our starter HEHEHE I have a friend who is an attending DR in the ER, he'll understand that it's a science experiment.

Auto Transport Service
Back