• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No oil pressure after oil change on 440???

This has been going on way to long. Fact#1, it had oil pressure when parked. Likely that bearings weren't damaged at that time. Fact#2 the oil pickup didn't fall off while parked. Fact#3 the engine does not need to be rotated to get oil to the gauge port. Fact #4 oil is picked up from the pick-up directly to the pump. Then goes in two directions. Through the filter or through the bypass in a loop. Remove the filter, spin the pump., No oil? If oil doesn't even reach the filter inlet my bet is the relief valve is stuck open. If it comes out there it should shoot out in a stream from the gauge port, like 6-8 feet if uncovered. Even worn bearing the oil will spray. There are other issues that could kill pressure, missing galley plugs etc. But you state it was fine when parked. The only possibility could be clogged filter, stuck relief valve, stripped drive. I would eliminate stripped drive as that's been verified you feel pump resistance. Why not just pull the pump, disassemble and inspect? As far as the squealing noise while running, bad news. What were formerly undamaged bearings may now be wounded.

Why did you start the motor knowing you had no oil pressure? :(

Just to follow up and to give some info on the cause and progress. Finally removed the engine a couple of months back, after preparing myself financially - removed the pan and found, that the oil pick up tube had broken off, causing all bearings to "melt"! According to the engine builder and drag racer, a fairly common problem on BB "race" engines. Engine is now being rebuilt - incl. upgraded 1/2" pick up tube - fully balanced ( not previously done ) and will hopefully be done shortly.
Thank you all who took the time to chime in.

Last edited:
BROKEN OFF??? What location? Where the tube meets the block?? In ALL MY YEARS I HAVE NEVER
HEARD THIS ONE AS A "COMMON" problem on Mopars I have rebuilt DOZENS!!! Smash an oil pan
Especially a 9 quart that hangs below the K frame
Then bend/break your pick up. Sounds like a B.S.
To me!!! ANYBODY CARE TO PUT SOME INPUT ON THIS????

BROKEN OFF??? What location? Where the tube meets the block?? In ALL MY YEARS I HAVE NEVER
HEARD THIS ONE AS A "COMMON" problem on Mopars I have rebuilt DOZENS!!! Smash an oil pan
Especially a 9 quart that hangs below the K frame
Then bend/break your pick up. Sounds like a B.S.
To me!!! ANYBODY CARE TO PUT SOME INPUT ON THIS????
Same here! First I've heard of a tube breaking being common on a Mopar. Small block Chevy...a big YUP! You HAVE to weld the pickup tube on a Chevy if you don't want it to vibrate out but it's only a press fit while the Mopar is a screw in deal. Did your engine have a vibration problem? Is so, I would think it would have had other issues due to excessive vibration before it would break off the pickup tube. Man, those things are pretty stout....

Vibration? The pickup would have "JAMMED" against the pan or windage tray, if there was vibration,sounds like a crank problem, not line honed,not torqued properly but not an oil pick up snapping??? Was it not screwed in all the way fell out when started and jammed between crank and block and EATEN UP? Sounds like some one is trying
To SNOW THE ICE MAN!!!

Vibration? The pickup would have "JAMMED" against the pan or windage tray, if there was vibration,sounds like a crank problem, not line honed,not torqued properly but not an oil pick up snapping??? Was it not screwed in all the way fell out when started and jammed between crank and block and EATEN UP? Sounds like some one is trying
To SNOW THE ICE MAN!!!
Bad vibration (vs good ones :D) can make just about anything crack and break but highly doubtful vibration would make a pickup tube break on a Mopar. It would have to be pretty severe and then other problems would most likely surface first.

When I was buttoning up my bottom end, the new pickup was too long. I asked around and most of the replies were "it's not likely any aftermarket pickups are going to be the right length and you have to cut them.
I had to remove 3/4" out of the center and weld it back together.
Maybe the ops was modified and it didn't hold up?

Need pics!

Have had many a BB Mopar apart and rebuilt and have not seen pick up tubes to have a cracking issue at threads. Even in HD commercial Dodge truck use. Have seen pick up tubes bent from high capacity oil pans being bottomed out or dropped but never cracked or broken off. Any time you have one down or apart it is something you check but not a common seen failure. Things happen though, hopefully the block and crank are sevicable.

I've been working with mopars for 44 years,the place I work has no less than 100 b/b mopar engines in stock on any given day,and I've seen it all!never ever ,ever seen a broken pick up from an over heating issue,or any other reason other than previously stated by other experienced brothers on this site.

Auto Transport Service
Back