• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No power steering below 2000 rpm

IMO....the high pressure relief valve/flow control valve are inside the pump and do not effect the entering of the ftont wheels, but only the max pressure delivered by the pump. The centering valve is attached to the steering gear gear box, and where the pump's discharge is connected and where the low pressure oil exits the steering box and returns to the pump. I believe there is a centering adjustment on the steering box and needs to be followed per FSM procedures. Chrysler used a ITEGRAL POWER STEERING BOX DESIGN. Certain models of FORD and GM/CHEVROLET used a LINKAGE ASSIST POWER STEERING SYSTEM , with a slave cylinder attached to the center link that actually pulled or pushed the center link from side to side under direction of the centering valve. You have the INTEGRAL POWER STEERING SYSTEM. Re-read the FSM to gain a better insight to the operstion of the Saginaw pump and steering box adjustments..... Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Well, I am still stumped. I reviewed the factory service manual and how to center the wheels and after I had centered it, I lowered down the car, took it for a drive and again, all seemed well until I began driving a little more aggressively. Again, I lost my power assist and could barely turn my steering wheel.

At this point I have
Checked belt tension and even replaced the belts, changed my power steering pump and pulley and changed the low and high pressure valves. I've also flushed the power steering fluid twice.

The only thing that has stayed the same is the steering box and unless anyone has any other ideas, I am just going to swap that.

Update:

Not sure what exactly fixed the problem but I changed the steering box (Borgeson) and went to the original factory style AC pulley set up and no belt slip issues even at WOT and I have my power steering back. Very happy. Thank you to everyone who answered my post and gave my ideas. I appreciate it FBBO.

20220612_132057.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back