• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

no spark at plugs

Jason f_19

Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
400 big block- distributor, cap , rotor, wires and plugs are brand new. electronic ignition kit also new, accel coil not new but primary and secondary readings check out. no spark at the plugs. battery is good as well. i need someone to walk me through further diagnosing, im not sure what to do next. side note- i bought the car with the wiring set up like this, i didnt want to mess with it but i will if it gets it running. it just looks like a mess to me.

image.jpg

I would start fresh, remove the breaker box assembly and make it nice clean stock and original.
Then figure out if there is actually a failed component.

What the hell is that monstrosity ?? I'd rip out all that crap, get an engine harness, and install the electronic components where they belong. May be easier than figuring out cobbled butchery.

A coil that checks out OK with a resistance check can still fail [ under load ]. Only way to check for sure is try another coil.

400 big block- distributor, cap , rotor, wires and plugs are brand new. electronic ignition kit also new, accel coil not new but primary and secondary readings check out. no spark at the plugs. battery is good as well. i need someone to walk me through further diagnosing, im not sure what to do next. side note- i bought the car with the wiring set up like this, i didnt want to mess with it but i will if it gets it running. it just looks like a mess to me.

View attachment 1537614
Yikes! I think that same guy did my house!

It's a spark PLUG. It's supposed to plug the spark. Can you imagine the hazards of an actual open spark in the vicinity of a gasoline/air mixture?

turn the key to the run position and check for voltage at the + side of the coil. if none,check for voltage on both sides of the ballast resistor.
if voltage is only present on 1 side of the ballast,replace the ballast. in any case,make sure ignition box is grounded well. if no power on either side of ballast,check fuses and ignition switch for power in and out. finally.....re-wire that mess.

What the hell is that monstrosity ?? I'd rip out all that crap, get an engine harness, and install the electronic components where they belong. May be easier than figuring out cobbled butchery.
Starting with the infamous Accell Super coil......put the wiring back to origional location and connection. Looks like a Chinese ECU. use the appropriate ballast resistor, ECU and Mopar coil. Mis matching of parts is the absolute way of insuring an ignition system failure. Grt yourself a FSM for your year and model of vehicle.....study it....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back