• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No start coil ?

13.7 running WITH OUT the jumper and ballast wired CORRECTLY ?

If so , you now have a new problem haha

Get it running without jumper wire and go around wiggling ignition circuit wires. Bulkhead wires inside and under hood and ignition switch if it cuts out bingo. I would say not battery cable if it cranks fine, could be wrong.
Started without jumper again, wiggled bulkhead and coil wires ballast wires etc did not cut out

If you go for a drive keep the wire you used handy, just in case. The low voltage before why would it stop?

13.7 running WITH OUT the jumper and ballast wired CORRECTLY ?

If so , you now have a new problem haha
Started it again ( 5th or 6th time) not sure if my meter is crapping out but this time I'm getting 14.3-4V at coil and 15.5 at battery idle rpm. Voltage was going crazy for a bit jumping around but then settled down to 14.3-4.
So what's my new problem?

Started it again ( 5th or 6th time) not sure if my meter is crapping out but this time I'm getting 14.3-4V at coil and 15.5 at battery idle rpm. Voltage was going crazy for a bit jumping around but then settled down to 14.3-4.
So what's my new problem?
Yes no jumper factory correct wiring

Well you are now getting full battery voltage to the coil while it is running. For a factory type coil that is to much and you will eventually fry the coil.

Some how you have gone to a low voltage to situation to a high voltage .

I guess the first thing I would check is the resistance of the ballast . pull the wires off the ballast and test for ohm resistance of the ballast.

Are you running an original mechanical style voltage regulator still? Check what battery is charging at while running as well

Leaning towards changing out coil, would like factory look but must be high quality, any recom
Well you are now getting full battery voltage to the coil while it is running. For a factory type coil that is to much and you will eventually fry the coil.

Some how you have gone to a low voltage to situation to a high voltage .

I guess the first thing I would check is the resistance of the ballast . pull the wires off the ballast and test for ohm resistance of the ballast.

Are you running an original mechanical style voltage regulator still? Check what battery is charging at while running as well

Ballast resistance is 1.3. original mechanical voltage regulator, battery charging 15.5 idling

You are over charging. I do believe the old style regulators were adjustable. Try adjusting to where your battery is charging between 13.8 - 14.5v.

Once you have the battery charging properly , recheck voltage at the coil.

I want to thank everyone for their help and suggestions.
I will remove regulator to check if it's adjustable and report back.

Ok then mine is not adjustable. Could be it went bad at some point and hurt coil un detected, when it's running now my amp meter is at the 3/4 mark. Last time I drove it which was couple of months ago it was in middle like it usually is.

It does sound like your regulator has capped out on you. Causing over and under charging issues. ......

I would grab a new voltage regulator if I were you

Any recommendations for quality VR and coil for use with points ? Looking for stock appearance.

Update, new Standard Electric mechanical VR made no difference, installed transistor VR from ebay, no start. Changed out condenser and fired right up. With transistor VR battery reading steady 14.7 at 2500 RPM. Still need to change out bulkhead at some point but for now I'm calling success.

Auto Transport Service
Back