• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No steering self center

Izm440

Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
Hi
Recently getting 69 Roadrunner back on road. Had the car nearly 20 years but looking back I think I got used to the steering not self centering. I’ve got caster about 3deg and all joints are free. Replaced seals in Federal pump and hoses. I’ve just replaced valve body seals in box and cleaned and checked spool valve movement and outlet valve. Wheels up, there is no pull left or right with engine running and steering spins freely left/right. What I found was that with engine running or stopped, manually pushing road wheels side to side was really tough. Like pushing against hydraulic pressure. Without fluid in system, it moves freely by hand but with fluid, I can hardly move by hand. However using the steering wheel, spins freely with out without fluid. Clearly, on the road, this ‘internal pressure’ is preventing self centering but the power assist is smooth and good. What could cause this? Is there an internal box seal that could cause this or an issue with return valve? Return valve feels free and the 2 springs appear in tact.

Auto Transport Service
Back