• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noisy Valve train on new motor?

Just a suggestion, Would banana cuts on the shaft help that out? I put them on my Crane aluminum rockers and they are quiet. The 340 T/A were like that

I had the same problem with my engine. A friend that used to post on FBBO a lot told me, These aren’t Chevys, you need more lifter preload, 1 to 1 1/2 turns. Set mine at 1 1/4 turn, most of the noise went away and seems to run better. I still have the fast ramp chatter, but the ticking went away.
Prnd21 was correct. I called crane with my part number and they are a full travel lifter with a pre load spec of .080. 1 1/8 to 1 1/4. I was setting them to Harland sharps instructions. My ticking is gone I still have ramp noise but with extreme energy cam there is no getting away from some noise. Thanks everyone for your input

Auto Transport Service
Back