• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non adjustable Rockers acceptable float?

Justasgood

Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
Ok so next up in my re/education on Mopar Big Blocks. This 383 has stock unadjustable rocker arms. Exactly how much float should they have? Valves are double springs and it appears the arms float a bit over the valve tops.

To be clear, my question is about the stamped steel arms and wether or not they should stay centered over the valves.

Is the set up designed for bigger spacers perhaps or is this normal?

61FDAA28-CFD5-4F6F-8680-C91B170C1484.jpeg
DEEEECC5-7139-4648-BD12-1E7C00601E85.jpeg

Last edited:
Mopar Performance had/has rocker arm spacer shim kits to tighten up the "Walk".
Stock they do move side to side on the stamp steel versions.
Check with Mancini Racing for the shims/spacers if you want.
I bought some a few years back from them.

What you have is the stock system, it works perfectly, no need to do anything. There is some in- built side-to-side movement, but the rockers have a very wide 'foot' so that there is always full contact with the valve stem.

What you have is the stock system, it works perfectly, no need to do anything. There is some in- built side-to-side movement, but the rockers have a very wide 'foot' so that there is always full contact with the valve stem.
I would question their use with double springs though.
Are you sure they are not single springs with a damper?

I’ve poked a push rod through mine with single springs. I was beating on it for sure.
With Indy worked heads, I would upgrade the rocker arms.

Indy heads worked the heads and installed the double springs.
Might be a good idea to check all those rocker arm ball sockets for wear and consistency whether or not you decide to tighten up the lateral motion with shims.

Auto Transport Service
Back