• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not cooling properly - clutch fan?

MoparThunder

Local time
9:49 PM
Reaction score
My engine seems to stay cool enough as long as I am driving. If I stop at all it seems to heat up quickly. How can you tell the clutch fan is bad? I noticed after I turned the engine off the fan seems to spin a bit. I checked the thermostat and that is working fine. I think the carb might be a bit lean so that would be contributing to it also but the fan looked funny.

Just replaced mine. Had the same symptoms. Spun it cold, spun it hot. Hard to tell. Found out it was slipping, but not detectable by eye. It was a cheapie too. Just replace it. They are not that expensive. My stop light extended idle stays cool now and no longer spikes.

As above, just replace it with the correct application.

Although the Summit website lists this part as fitting 62 thru 65 Dodges and Plymouths I think that information is not accurate. The total height of the 62-65 part was 2.75 inches which leaves somewhere between 1/4" to 1/2" of clearance to the radiator. According to the Hayden website this part has a total height of 3.34 inches in which case it will not work in those applications. I wish it would.

If it ok driving then its not a lean issue, ir a thermostat issue. Its an air across the radiator issue. Do you have a fan shroud? And how close is the fan to the radiator?

Although the Summit website lists this part as fitting 62 thru 65 Dodges and Plymouths I think that information is not accurate. The total height of the 62-65 part was 2.75 inches which leaves somewhere between 1/4" to 1/2" of clearance to the radiator. According to the Hayden website this part has a total height of 3.34 inches in which case it will not work in those applications. I wish it would.

The Hayden 2765 is 2 5/8" tall and is what a lot of guys are using. It's original application is for a Jaguar. I just put one on my 69 RR with a 22" radiator and it does fit. The only issue I have with it is that the mounting flange should be 1/2" wider. A portion of the mounting bolts hang over the edge of the flange.

The Hayden 2765 is 2 5/8" tall and is what a lot of guys are using. It's original application is for a Jaguar. I just put one on my 69 RR with a 22" radiator and it does fit. The only issue I have with it is that the mounting flange should be 1/2" wider. A portion of the mounting bolts hang over the edge of the flange.

I'm using the 2765 on one of my 62's. Since the total height is less than 2.75, it fits. So far, so good. But several people claim they don't last long because they're intended for a plastic fan. Time will tell.

If it ok driving then its not a lean issue, ir a thermostat issue. Its an air across the radiator issue. Do you have a fan shroud? And how close is the fan to the radiator?

Yes I have a fan shroud. The clutch is about 5/8 - 1/2 inch from the radiator.

Thanks for pointing this out Rick, saved me some heartache!!

I'm using the 2765 on one of my 62's. Since the total height is less than 2.75, it fits. So far, so good. But several people claim they don't last long because they're intended for a plastic fan. Time will tell.

Yeah, I have heard that also. It was the only clutch that I could get to work for my application though. I'm hoping it will last until somebody makes a decent alternative.

Auto Transport Service
Back