• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not for sale, going to restore it one day

Charles Cook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
Finally caught someone home today. I’ve had my eye on this 70 RR for a few years now. Of course the guy doesn’t want to sell it and I don’t blame him. I did tell him he should try to get it inside somewhere. I also offered to help him out with some parts when he gets started. Nice car once upon a time. I hate seeing them like this but to each their own. At least he let me take some pictures.

45D086BC-12BD-4F63-8388-477C9D2E1F06.jpeg

39DC6A30-A56E-4125-A175-D7E278602CCA.jpeg

8AF3FAA0-9F97-4F9B-90F4-2ADA90CAAA42.jpeg

F154A5F4-E3A3-4678-A8F3-577AFC07543A.jpeg

C579335B-D3A6-4E7B-9DCB-DF98C5F2B5B6.jpeg

That owner is full of it. He’s never going to do anything with it.

Last edited:
That owner is full of it. He’s never going to anything with it.
You can’t say that, my dad had his car sitting in the backyard for 30 years with alot of people stopping by to buy it and he told them it was getting restored one day. And it did!

8CC84400-D14B-47E2-891B-36FDBCB677E3.jpeg

937276AF-975E-437E-81F6-1553DEAC0AC2.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, doesn't that just gall ya'. Sometimes if you're persistent but show respect and develop a relationship they may give in...and maybe not. I've experienced the reverse happening though. People/Car guys catch me in a weaker moment and I say "what the heck, maybe he needs it worse than I do." I've lost a 1970 440-6 pack Cuda, a 1969 Coronet R/T 426 Hemi and numerous parts that way.

That owner is full of it. He’s never going to anything with it.
If the guy is 70 and living in a trailer, the car will never be restored by him. Where will the money come from? Where will the work be done? Where will the tools be stored?
People like this must just like having the old car out there because it gives them a sense of hope even if it is completely unlikely that anything will happen.

Last edited:
If the guy is 70 and living in a trailer, the car will never be restored by him. Where will the money come from? Where will the work be done? Where will the tools be stored?
People like this must jus like having the old car out there because it gives them a sense of hope even if it is completely unlikely that anything will happen.
Never say never, my dad always intended for us to restore it together. He was retired NYPD and didn’t have alot of money. His last few years he was quite sick but i always told him when when he is feeling better and now that I have the means to restore it we will do it . I didn’t have the heart to start the process of restoring the car without him but when his time was near i promised i would get it done and i did. Maybe this guy has a similar situation and someone is waiting to do it .Never say never!

Back in the eighties there was a wrecked 71 Roadrunner sitting near a friends house... Sat there for years, I talked to the owner a few times.... Not for sale, gonna restore it... Then it was gone... But I found it, stored at an Ag repair & fab place... Stopped & talked to the guys working there... Same guy still owns it but the wife didn't want it sitting in front of the house.... Still not for sale... Then the Ag shop went outta business & the car disappeared.. Found it again, in another town... The car bounced around for close to twenty years.. The guy who owned it at this point was in his 70's, both sons (one a bodyman & the other a painter) had ignored the car... But the daughter winds up secretly restoring the car & presents it to her father at a Fathers Day car show in 2004... I was at the show & completely blown away...

Unfortunate - Some of these guys that just can’t let go - and will never do what’s needed.

The guy above who’s dad kept it out there rotting for 30+ and then did restore - that’s more rare and pretty cool. And when he did do it - it appears he did it right. Looks like a beauty.

wasn't the 70 Hemi Charger above
a Graveyard Carz "build" ?

wasn't the 70 Hemi Charger above
a Graveyard Carz "build" ?
Yes it was but let’s leave GYC out of it because everytime my car get’s associated with GYC all the nay sayers come out and tell me how bad my car was restored. But if they actually saw it in person i think they would change their mind. The point I was trying to make is that people keep these great cars for a reason. They try to restore them, they really think they are going to restore them or someone may be waiting to restore them when the time is right. Bottom line is these people own these cars and if it gives them pleasure just to go out and look at them even if they are rotting away its their car and we should respect that. JMO!

It's far more rare, then it is normal, that they get restored...

We've all seen it & we all know it...
We've all heard it...
We've all seen or experienced it 1st or 2nd hand trying to buy a car
or to get some person to sell it...
Or we know someone that says & does it...

"I'm going to restore it someday" :jackoff:

Some place or deal, you drive or walk by for decades
it's still sitting there rotting

they almost never leave or get done "restored", or "built"
before the org. person (or hoarders dies or while they are still alive)
&/or the car moves on (or sold by family after the fact)
to someone else, that actually 'restores' or 'builds' it/them...

rare as hens teeth
the Org. person, that let it sit for decades
ever does do the resto/build

Family or otherwise...
Paying someone to restore or build it for them, or otherwise...

Yep it's 'their car'
to let sit & 'rot to the ground'
too, if that's what they please
IMO it happens far more often, then most any other scenarios...

IMO it doesn't stop people from trying...
Especially if it is out in the open & easy to see...

sometimes it's a damn shame too
such is life

Last edited:
It's far rare, then it is normal, that they get restored...

We all see it & we all know it...
We've all seen or experienced it 1st or 2nd hand trying to buy a car
or to get some person to sell it...

"I'm going to restore it someday"

you drive or walk by for decades it's still sitting there rotting

they almost never leave or get done "restored", or "built"
before the org. person (or hoarders dies) &/or the car moves on
to someone else, that actually restores or builds it...

Family or otherwise...
I agree, you are right that they rarely get restored, but it’s their car, they owe us nothing. If they want to see it rot away it’s their decision. They kept the car .

It is their car to do with what they want. It's always great seeing them on a rollback getting hauled for scrap after the old guys croak.

It is their car to do with what they want. It's always great seeing them on a rollback getting hauled for scrap after the old guys croak.
Either we did or our father had the chance to grab these cars years ago. If our fathers or we didnt do it shame on us . The guys that did it and hung on to them for all these years deserve to do what they want to do with them. Can’t complain if we didnt have the foresight to do it or our dads didnt. Well my dad did!! And if the guy didn’t keep it the rolloff would have had its way with it a long time ago !

Last edited:
It is their car to do with what they want.
Yes it is. Maybe they just enjoy looking at it in the back yard and thinking of all the memories they had in it, or maybe they just like the fact that everybody wants it but can't have it, regardless of the reason the fact remains that it IS their car so if you want a 70RR go buy another one for sale there is plenty on marketplace or craigslist or ebay or many other online sites.

Bottom line is these people own these cars and if it gives them pleasure just to go out and look at them even if they are rotting away its their car and we should respect that. JMO!
This is ABSOLUTELY correct. THEY own the car, all you other know it all's DO NOT.

When YOU actually own the car, then you can decide what, when, or how something should be done to it. And not until then. Realistically, most of you don't have a big enough pot to piss in yourself, and would do no better for the car, yet you love complaining about somebody else having a dream for their car and refusing to sell to YOU (and of course you want it for next to nothing too) and do what YOU think is right.

Yes it is. Maybe they just enjoy looking at it in the back yard and thinking of all the memories they had in it, or maybe they just like the fact that everybody wants it but can't have it, regardless of the reason the fact remains that it IS their car so if you want a 70RR go buy another one for sale there is plenty on marketplace or craigslist or ebay or many other online sites.

If I could hit the AGREE button for you a hundred times, I would.

I have a few cars still sitting outside that shouldn't be even after installing four storage lifts in my garage this year! I'm working towards getting them into better storage but I'm not there yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back