• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Number 3

But really if Nascar starts retiring numbers then eventually most cars will have a three digits on the door. Does anyone remember when Kyle Petty drove the 7/11 car but it had 21 on the door. I wonder if Nascar has a rule against 3 digit numbers now. I know early drivers had them.

Good point. it's not like other sports, where every team has a #5, etc.

As a Yankee fan, I say to hell with retiring numbers. Let's see a kid come up with the balls to wear #3. We'll chear like mad if he does the number respect.

As a Yankee fan, I think you should "shut-up" and sit down!

LOL, Just kidding, cuz I'm a Red Sox Fan!

For some reason Im afraid to answer my door now. Those Jahova Witnesses are announcing that they are coming now. But really if Nascar starts retiring numbers then eventually most cars will have a three digits on the door. Does anyone remember when Kyle Petty drove the 7/11 car but it had 21 on the door. I wonder if Nascar has a rule against 3 digit numbers now. I know early drivers had them.

NASCAR doesn't use three digit numbers. #100 has 00 on the door, #101 is 01 and so on.

For some reason Im afraid to answer my door now. Those Jahova Witnesses are announcing that they are coming now. But really if Nascar starts retiring numbers then eventually most cars will have a three digits on the door. Does anyone remember when Kyle Petty drove the 7/11 car but it had 21 on the door. I wonder if Nascar has a rule against 3 digit numbers now. I know early drivers had them.
Way back in the late 40s and early 50s before the 43 car rule, there was no limit to the size of the field that could start a race. They would have qualifying, but just about anybody that showed up with a legal car made the field at the bigger tracks. I remember seeing old videos of 75+ cars starting a race. There must have been some duplicate #s.

Yeah, i remember old photos of guys running '55 chevy post cars and what not with 3 digit numbers. Those days must have been crazy. Fun, but crazy.

I have sort of a different take on the number retiring thing. If & when Nascar does decide to retire numbers, just which number will get retired? What I mean by this is the fact that many drivers change sponsors & numbers every other year. Bobby Allison used several #s, David Pearson had good results with the #17 & #21, Darrel Waldrip had success with #88, #11, #17 and you cant get many Earnhardt fans to believe he drove with any other number than #3 but won his first championship with #2. So would they leave it up to the driver to choose his favorite number to retire?

I have sort of a different take on the number retiring thing. If & when Nascar does decide to retire numbers, just which number will get retired? What I mean by this is the fact that many drivers change sponsors & numbers every other year. Bobby Allison used several #s, David Pearson had good results with the #17 & #21, Darrel Waldrip had success with #88, #11, #17 and you cant get many Earnhardt fans to believe he drove with any other number than #3 but won his first championship with #2. So would they leave it up to the driver to choose his favorite number to retire?

I hope they never do, but perhaps they do what baseball does and pick the one they are most identified with. Though there are always tough calls.

I say, :iamwithstupid: only if you get 200 wins, in a specific numbered car, with the same driver {like "the KING Richard" & Petty Enterprises}, then that teams car # should be eligible to be retired, but only when that person also retires, from racing... set a strict standard & make it very high... Richard Petty would be the "Only One" in Nascar's premier series...

I say, :iamwithstupid: only if you get 200 wins, in a specific numbered car, with the same driver {like "the KING Richard" & Petty Enterprises}, then that teams car # should be eligible to be retired, but only when that person also retires, from racing... set a strict standard & make it very high... Richard Petty would be the "Only One" in Nascar's premier series...

I agree. That and #3

Sorry to bring this back, but NASCAR is right around the corner and I haven't changed my position. I am very passionate about the sport and I am very disappointed that the number 3 is being brought back.I think Austin Dillon is a great kkid, but I just can't wrap my mind around someone Running a legiondary number. Sorry, just can't get past it.

Auto Transport Service
Back