• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nylon shaft end bushing on 2875731 distributor

shovelluv

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
I am rebuilding the original distributor on my 1969 roadrunner. I want to replace the nylon end bushing as I have around .062 end play on the shaft and still have the original bushing on it. Is there a reason that it is nylon or is a steel one better for replacement? Where can I get a new one? I am assuming the factory used nylon in case it fatigued off? My original is on the left and a summit distributor is on the right. Thanks

20220126_190025.jpg

I'm not sure why they're nylon? I've only rebuilt one distributor and I remember that piece "feelilng" brittle, so I was careful pushing the pin out and it didn't break.

I am rebuilding the original distributor on my 1969 roadrunner. I want to replace the nylon end bushing as I have around .062 end play on the shaft and still have the original bushing on it. Is there a reason that it is nylon or is a steel one better for replacement? Where can I get a new one? I am assuming the factory used nylon in case it fatigued off? My original is on the left and a summit distributor is on the right. Thanks

View attachment 1230955

I got some nylon bushings at Ace Hardware in the fasterner section that fit perfectly on my 318 distributor. They're in those little droors and you can buy them individually. Just need to drill a hole in them for the pin. Probably easiest to hold the bushing in a drill press so you can make a hole straight through. I did it by hand on the first one and the hole didn't quite line up.

Thanks for the reply, one of my concerns is the wear above the roll pin. It appears like the bushing actually wore down against the thrust washer over the years.

I got some nylon bushings at Ace Hardware in the fasterner section that fit perfectly on my 318 distributor. They're in those little droors and you can buy them individually. Just need to drill a hole in them for the pin. Probably easiest to hold the bushing in a drill press so you can make a hole straight through. I did it by hand on the first one and the hole didn't quite line up.

I do have so 1/2" I.D. nylon material and I think Im going to try and drill and cut down. Does anyone know what the end play should spec to?

End play .004 to .010. I removed my distributor one spring to prime engine. Was putting back in notice roll pin sticking 1/8" out of nylon piece. Took a piece of brass wire put it through roll pin and twisted ends together and soldered it.

If you want to reduce play and the bushings is not brittle you can drive the pin out, remove bushing and add in shim washers above the nylon one.

I toss them way to many out there that cracked and fell into the engines. I had metal ones made up if you need one still.

It also has to be put on the same as it came off otherwise clearance will be wrong. Not symetrically drilled. Put it on wrong side may be too tight or to lose.

Auto Transport Service
Back