• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscuring license plates in photos...Why?

Dako

Local time
10:41 PM
Reaction score
Just curious, why some posters obscure the license plate in a photo they post? If everybody sees it when the vehicle is on public roads...and at a carshow or other event, countless photos can/ are taken by random people and posted elsewhere, why go through the trouble? :edgy:

Often have thought the same thing.
Our cars are generally sought after and could be stolen but this seems to border on paranoid unless the photo shows you breaking the law somehow or your other posts fess up on some misdoings.
John

because some people feel their addresses can be tracked down through the dmv or through the internet and show up to steal their car. the internet is full of people that have nothing better to do than search for a car they want to steal and guess that's one way to do it

Some people want to stay anonymous maybe, not sure really...

Because your car is registered at the courthouse, so is other information/records about you that some people may search for that is deemed private. As said, some people have nothing better to do than dig up info on somebody and use it against them. Yes we take our cars to shows, but generally you are near your car and can see if somebody is writing down your license plate or you have somebody close by that can keep an eye on it. It's just one way of protecting your own privacy in this changing digital world we live in. I don't think it's paranoid, just being as safe as you can.

Because your car is registered at the courthouse, so is other information/records about you that some people may search for that is deemed private. As said, some people have nothing better to do than dig up info on somebody and use it against them. Yes we take our cars to shows, but generally you are near your car and can see if somebody is writing down your license plate or you have somebody close by that can keep an eye on it. It's just one way of protecting your own privacy in this changing digital world we live in. I don't think it's paranoid, just being as safe as you can.

Good points...

I cover mine cause I am in the wittness protaction program. I don't want Vinni or Franky to find me. They know my car too well.

I thought (in my case) my car was registered at the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) here in MD. Don't know if information is transfered to the courthouse from there. I don't believe anyone can just walk in and request my info there. Maybe I'm wrong?

Here I thought the whole reason to get personalized plates was for others to see. Do some of you remove your plates when showing your ride?

I used to get owner info on 'abandoned' cars from a cop buddy but can't do that anymore. If a cop requests registration info nowadays, they have to have a good reason

It's a good question. I do it because it can't hurt, and if I don't do it, who knows? It didn't help that some jackass threatened me on this site with a PM that said "Now I know where you live" kind of stuff. Admin shut him down, kicked him off the site ASAP, but that didn't help my trusting others intentions.

I do it because when you post on line you are opening your self to the whole world. My feeling is that some dishonest person sitting at a computer is more likely to try to locate/harass/steal other info/do identity theft. It is much more likely to happen online that in real life. Anyone want to take pics of my car at a show or on the road, have at it. Won't bother me in the slightest. There are pics of my cars with plates on line others have posted, but they are not identifying as to me, so it's not a big deal. I'm not paranoid, just a little more cautious.

Keep reading. The paranoid are explaining. Very insightful.

I do it because when you post on line you are opening your self to the whole world. My feeling is that some dishonest person sitting at a computer is more likely to try to locate/harass/steal other info/do identity theft. It is much more likely to happen online that in real life. Anyone want to take pics of my car at a show or on the road, have at it. Won't bother me in the slightest. There are pics of my cars with plates on line others have posted, but they are not identifying as to me, so it's not a big deal. I'm not paranoid, just a little more cautious.

I agree 100 percent, posting on here with the plate does not bother me or anybody seeing it on the street or show. But posting randomly on the net, where someone somewhere on a computer that has nothing else to do or has a bunch of programs or access to things is more likely to try something. Just my 2 cents.

I figure it dont hurt, but I quit doing it years ago. If somebody really wants it they will figure out a way. Thats what I pay insurance for.........

im definitely not paranoid , if they do track down my address, then they are going to be met with a 6 foot fence , a couple of really pissed off Rots , a couple cameras , and if they get past that then they will have to get past the old .45 .... so , come get some ...

oh wait ....nobody wants my crap anyway LOL

Attachments

• d414.jpg
    d414.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 299
It's a good question. I do it because it can't hurt, and if I don't do it, who knows? It didn't help that some jackass threatened me on this site with a PM that said "Now I know where you live" kind of stuff. Admin shut him down, kicked him off the site ASAP, but that didn't help my trusting others intentions.
I've had that happen too and I just tell them to bring plenty of fire power because they'll need it and that I never leave home without mine :D

- - - Updated - - -

Online these days is part of real life. The computer is such a big part of our lives today that you really can't say it's not real life....

Anyone found messing around my garage at night will be found there in the morning.My cars always locked in the garage and blocked in by two outside the door. Gonna take three wreckers to steal it or a lot of time.

So here is my take:

Why would people really spend the time to look up license plates on the internet to go steal a car? If I really was in the business to steal a car, I think it would be far easier to go to a local car show and take lots of pictures. Everyone takes pictures - heck, that's why many of us go. THEN i would look up the plates and steal a car that I know is local and that I "inspected" first hand at a show.

I am a big believer in the middle of the road approach. You can't live life paranoid, but you don't want to live life too risky or you get bit. If I ever drive my car, people can see the license plate - that's what it is for. There are even MANDATORY lights so it can be seen at night. If you're worried about that, then keep your car in a museum...

Auto Transport Service
Back