• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscuring license plates in photos...Why?

im definitely not paranoid , if they do track down my address, then they are going to be met with a 6 foot fence , a couple of really pissed off Rots , a couple cameras , and if they get past that then they will have to get past the old .45 .... so , come get some ...

oh wait ....nobody wants my crap anyway LOL

Oh, but I do! My 1st 'car' was a `70 Duster 340. I'm diggin' yours!

here's a pic of the ones I run...try and trace 'em!! lol

GTX Exterior (93).JPG

paranoid, not so much. just mindful of reality...

i believe you do have to be careful with all the "connectedness" that we live with, but you shouldn't relegate your self to a padded room either.

two_cents.jpg

"paranoia will destroy ya"-----sounds like a good song in there somewhere

[video=youtube;JitHrPXpRYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JitHrPXpRYw[/video]

Its a good idea and I'll tell you why.

A few years back I got a call from an insurance company claiming that I pay for damages for a hit and run that was traced to my car.

"LIKE HELL" I said - I haven't been involved in any hit and run.:angryfire:

They said - "Well, we got a police report that says you were".
:argue:
"BULLS*** I said. Send it to me. You got the wrong guy":icon_butt:

"OK they said - We'll send it your way and give you a call":laughing4:

A few days later - I get a letter with a police report that a car registered to me was identified as being in a hit and run. 1971 Plymouth - Blue - Licese plate BUJ - 123.

"WTF" I say - "I parted out that car years ago" That car doesn't exist!:angry9::angry9::angry9:

Well, it turns out that the car still had a plate registered to it, and when the cops put in the plate number the witness THOUGHT they saw on the car, the cops just ran it and put in MY NAME and MY CAR DESCRIPTION in the police report. Nice easy investigative work. :angel9:

That got sent off to the insurance company who then HOUNDED me for YEARS and I got passed from one collection agency to another for them trying to collect a couple thousand dollars ofor a hit and run that I WASNT INVOLVED IN.

Good news is that since there was never any citation issued - I had no liability.

I learned a lot about the law regarding collection agencies too.

So - keep those license plates obscured folks.:glasses2:

My take away on Northwest's story would be to make sure that I notify the state (I last had it registered in) of any car I take off the road. Here in MD, if the registration is not current they hound you for the plates (i.e. charge you for them if not turned in). You can have a car titled without plates...as long as it is not used on public roads.

Correct. That's a lesson I learned.

But it also illustrates how someone could use your license plate, name and car description to make trouble for you if they wanted to.

Better leave it in the driveway. Covered.

@ Northwest with your insurance issue:

This is a different issue - and trust me, I feel your pain - I had the same problem. But this is because we let someone have our old license plate without transferring it or destroying it. When later a car with that plate gets in an accident, we are still registered to that plate and get in trouble for it.

That is a totally different scenario than somebody seeing what it reads while you still own it, which is what the OP asked about...

Bring it on:blob1:

I've only had 1 jackass think he found my adress.But he's harmless anyway:blob1:

Attachments

• 3.21.12 (49).JPG
    3.21.12 (49).JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 102
Dennis, my reply had absolutely nothing to do with hiding license plates, but it did have something to do with being paranoid (which is why many people do hide their license plate numbers). I believe others were talking about being or not being paranoid. That is where I was going with my post. I believe at times there is nothing wrong with being paranoid and not only protecting our rides from possible theft, but protecting ourselves. Sorry if I confused you.

Auto Transport Service
Back