• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Car show comments

So you look old to him
Captain Obvious.jpg

My personal best (.....or worst?) car show comment;
Just after getting my restored 1964 Polara 500 convertible on the road, I attended a local cruise night. I noticed a couple of guys going around my car, looking at everything very carefully. One of the pair came over to me to say, " You sure did a nice restoration on your Dodge. Too bad it's such an ugly car.". My reply was something to the effect of, " If we all liked the same thing, I guess we would all be living at my house.".

11.jpg

07.jpg

45.jpg

Just after getting my restored 1964 Polara 500 convertible on the road, I attended a local cruise night. I noticed a couple of guys going around my car, looking at everything very carefully. One of the pair came over to me to say, " You sure did a nice restoration on your Dodge. Too bad it's such an ugly car.". My reply was something to the effect of, " If we all liked the same thing, I guess we would all be living at my house.".

View attachment 1351862

View attachment 1351863

View attachment 1351864

That's total stupidity. Even if I think a car is ugly I'm not saying something like that to the owner

My Dad was born in 1928. His first car was a used $50 Chrysler with mohair seats. He couldn't afford it and sold it to his Dad who made it into a pickup for his work. He grew up with the car industry seeing the evolution from almost the beginning. His favorite was the 1964 Dodge.

Did you ask what was, his idea of a beautiful vintage car.? I get curious when people proclaim such things.

View attachment 1351862

View attachment 1351863

View attachment 1351864
That’s actually one of my favorite Mopars, and a beautiful example at that!

One I have been asked many times, is if I am the original owner of my '69 Charger. My reply is "Sure am, had a great paper route in '69". I think some of them actually bought it.

You meet all kinds at car shows:

1) The jerks (I'm using a nice term here) who like to pick faults with your car, say it's ugly, not done right, etc.
These people can go f*** themselves. Even if they have a perfectly restored 71 Hemi 'Cuda, there is no excuse to tear down someone's pride and joy.

2) The ignorant 'knowledgeable' guys who say stuff like "My 74 Road Runner was ordered with a Hemi in it..." or the classic line shared above about how a Satellite is his favorite Ford.
These people need to be educated. Sometimes politely pointing out the error works, but some don't want to hear it.

3) The people who simply don't know, and ask basic, sometimes stupid questions.
These people I spend some time with. If they are willing to listen and learn (and especially if they are younger), they might just turn into an enthusiast.

3 or 4 must be a regional thing (maybe as in neighborhood small)

I‘m always amazed at how many people stare into the engine compartment of my 67 GTX with a 440 hood ornament and a pie pan on the air cleaner with 440 Super Commander in big, bold print - and then ask if it has a 383 motor.:rolleyes:

I like my Buddy‘s response when guys walk up to his 69 Hemi Roadrunner and ask if it’s real? In his best southern drawl he will reply, “Sure it’s real - you’re looking at it aren’t you.”

I don't get offended typically at shows - hell, each time I see it as an opportunity to have a little fun,.......... you're right Ed!!
I've had them ask me if that Plymouth is mine.
Just two days ago at the gas station a guy comes over and ask me how long I've owned that Dart.
One asked me if my Coronet 440 really had a 440 in it, he said not all of them did.
I personally get a kick out of it. As long as they don't try to run over me with their facts, it's all good.

Where I live you don't see many, if any 65 Coronets. Some say, I saw you the other day, to which I say, it was probably me!!
I'm blessed to own it and will stop to let anyone that would like, look at it.

I got my ‘Cuda in ‘83, and my Charger in ‘85. They’ve never been parked at a car show.

At car shows I am usually wandering around looking at other cars and talking to friends, so I don't hear many comments. My wife came with me the last time and sat by the car with the dog. I am still using the personalized plates from my last car. She said several people came and looked at the car and said nice cuda.

Charger front end.jpg

One of my favorites is the '67 Dodge Sweptline truck at a car show a few years ago. It was a bit of a hot rod, with a '64 426W engine in it with automatic and a set of 4:10 gears in a Dana 60. Not exactly stock. I knew the owner. We were chatting away when a guy on his 50s walks up and asks about the engine. My friend says "426"...the guy says "What? That's not a Hemi!" "It's a 426 Wedge engine." The guy insisted it had to be a 440 or maybe a 413. A guy in his '50s should be a little more on the ball than a kid in his early 20s about big blocks...oh well.

My Coronet 500 has its original 361 in it, and I have "361" painted above the "V-8" fender callouts. Guy walks up last week and says "don't you mean 360?" I popped the hood. He looks..."That's a 383, isn't it?"..."No, it's a 361. Last year in cars." This was another guy in his 50s that was trying to impress me with his Mopar knowledge and told me about a '66 Coronet 500 Hemi car he'd owned in the early '70s. Apparently, he was combining the memory of that car with a Chevy he said he'd owned way back, too. I really don't mind answering questions about my car. The dumb ones are the ones I just walk away from.

Auto Transport Service
Back