• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Car show comments

One of the pair came over to me to say, " You sure did a nice restoration on your Dodge. Too bad it's such an ugly car.". My reply WOULD BE:
"that's why take it to car shows, for ugly people to see it." (P.S. your car is a beaut !)

I don't get offended typically at shows - hell, each time I see it as an opportunity to have a little fun,.......... you're right Ed!!
I've had them ask me if that Plymouth is mine.
Just two days ago at the gas station a guy comes over and ask me how long I've owned that Dart.
One asked me if my Coronet 440 really had a 440 in it, he said not all of them did.
I personally get a kick out of it. As long as they don't try to run over me with their facts, it's all good.

Where I live you don't see many, if any 65 Coronets. Some say, I saw you the other day, to which I say, it was probably me!!
I'm blessed to own it and will stop to let anyone that would like, look at it.
Interestingly, as much as many people in NJ can be dickheads, I've noticed at car shows they invariably seem either impressed, appreciative, or in awe of the cars. If someone takes the time to comment, even if it's a innocent uneducated remark, I'll engage in conversation to expound on the details and virtues of the car, Mopar specifically. Especially young people. Once I had a few kids looking over my RR, as I started describing all the nuances of the car, they became silent, staring at me with eyes wide open, listening to every word, I felt like a professor in a classroom !

The strangest show comments I've gotten were about a new '05 Ford GT I had just purchased. I had taken it to the So Cal John Force Christmas fund raiser car show in early Dec. People constantly ask me "what year my Ferrari was"? The car literally has "FORD" on both doors and a blue oval on the nose. One guy asked if he could take some "photos of his hot model girlfriend laying on the hood" and "would be willing to send them to me email at no charge". Then there was the Chevy guy.... all dressed up in his Bow tie hat, Goodwrench jacket, racing shoes etc. He walks all around the car giving it the stink eye for several minutes then says without cracking a smile, looks me straight in the eye and states "beautiful car, to bad Chevy didn't make it then it wouldn't be a POS" and walks off.

Yeah, sometimes those dickheads do pop up. Years ago, one guy says something to the effect, "nice car, but there's nothing like a GTO". So I say, "yeah I like GTO's, even thought about getting one, but they were always so easy to beat in a race by a Mopar" .

The strangest show comments I've gotten were about a new '05 Ford GT I had just purchased. I had taken it to the So Cal John Force Christmas fund raiser car show in early Dec. People constantly ask me "what year my Ferrari was"? The car literally has "FORD" on both doors and a blue oval on the nose. One guy asked if he could take some "photos of his hot model girlfriend laying on the hood" and "would be willing to send them to me email at no charge". Then there was the Chevy guy.... all dressed up in his Bow tie hat, Goodwrench jacket, racing shoes etc. He walks all around the car giving it the stink eye for several minutes then says without cracking a smile, looks me straight in the eye and states "beautiful car, to bad Chevy didn't make it then it wouldn't be a POS" and walks off.
Just the opposite of your Ford vs Ferrari dilemma:
A friend of mine had just recently purchased a Ferrari Testarossa; the one with the air intake gills in the doors and rear quarters. He proudly brought out to a local car show. A gentleman looked the car over thoroughly, and obviously inspired by the prancing stallion in the Ferrari's grille, asked, "What year is your Mustang?".

A friend of mine recently bought a 1962 Dodge Dart Maxxie clone. As everyone knows, these '62's look like no other Dodge before or since; it is hard to see a lineage here. He is constantly asked at car shows what kind of car he owns. He always tells them it is a Studebaker Dart.

A friend of mine recently bought a 1962 Dodge Dart Maxxie clone. As everyone knows, these '62's look like no other Dodge before or since; it is hard to see a lineage here. He is constantly asked at car shows what kind of car he owns. He always tells them it is a Studebaker Dart.
The design team didn't do Dodge any favors with that design as far as sales for the masses. Virgil was fired and things changed. Look at those cars now. So ugly but so cool. A face only a mother could love. Lots of cliches.

“That’s a nice Pontiac” a father says to his son while they’re walking by and pointing at our GTX
I just smiled and was just glad to see a father showing his teenage son classic cars

“That’s a nice Pontiac” a father says to his son while they’re walking by and pointing at our GTX
I just smiled and was just glad to see a father showing his teenage son classic cars
You could always tape a "O" over your "X" ? LOL

Had a really nice 70 383 '4 barrel' Challenger for a lot of years and used to take it to the local shows where way more than a few guys would comment "nice Camaro". One seemed to be looking straight at the Challenger script on the front fender when he said that! I just asked him to spell out what was on the car and then tell me what it spelled. He walked away. Another guy I asked him how many L's are in Camaro. He too walked away.

Most attendees are very mellow at the shows I go to, and the worst comment I've heard relates to having a Plymouth painted FC7, which always gets called the Dodge name - Plum Crazy instead of In Violet.

Most attendees are very mellow at the shows I go to, and the worst comment I've heard relates to having a Plymouth painted FC7, which always gets called the Dodge name - Plum Crazy instead of In Violet.
Plum Crazy is a cooler name. :D

I had a guy looking at my 70 Charger R/T SE,it's yellow with a black stripe and ask me" Is that a Ford?" I answered back with a question too,"Do you have a good dentist?" Lol

Had a really nice 70 383 '4 barrel' Challenger for a lot of years and used to take it to the local shows where way more than a few guys would comment "nice Camaro". One seemed to be looking straight at the Challenger script on the front fender when he said that! I just asked him to spell out what was on the car and then tell me what it spelled. He walked away. Another guy I asked him how many L's are in Camaro. He too walked away.
I remember when the "All New" Challenger was first introduced for 1970. After I saw the first pictures, my immediate thought was, " Great! Now Dodge is making Camaros. " I have never really warmed up to E-bodies. I had just recently bought a new 1969 SuperBee.

I wasn't at a car show but at some store way back in the early 80's with my Rambler American 440 model, and some meatball says that thing have a 400 in it? I just said no that that was part of the model, he didn't get it. This was way before I was a Mopar guy.

The guys at Chrysler wanted to call that color Statachtory Grape,but that was overruled by the brass!
I think the Dodge guys usually came up with better names for the similar color. My ‘Cuda is “Vitamin C” and Dodge called it “Gomango”. I didn’t get that one… Go Man Go, until they released recently as a slightly darker orange.

Just the opposite of your Ford vs Ferrari dilemma:
A friend of mine had just recently purchased a Ferrari Testarossa; the one with the air intake gills in the doors and rear quarters. He proudly brought out to a local car show. A gentleman looked the car over thoroughly, and obviously inspired by the prancing stallion in the Ferrari's grille, asked, "What year is your Mustang?".
That would truly be deflating.

Rarely have I had people say anything negative about my ’63 Plymouth (I get these early B’s are a love or hate thing). One older guy took a very long walk around my ride as I was chatting with a buddy. Then he came up to us asking which one of us was the owner. He had to let me know he remembered when they came out and that he didn’t like the body style. I looked at my friend with a quick laugh shaking my head surprised this dude found it necessary to mention this. I asked the guy “Why is this some bit of news you found so important to share with me, interrupting our chat here? If you don’t like it; why are you looking at it? You done, or is there anything else you want to share before you walk - away?"

Auto Transport Service
Back