• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Car show comments

I was a civil war reenactor 10 years ago. Got similar questions from spectators.

1. Do you use real bullets. Um no.
2. Is that a real fire. Clearly there smoke and fire...
Funny how people can ask such stoooopid questions. 'No, the fire you see is fake' would be what I'd have to say! lol And then if they asked how it was done.....the reply would be 'with mirrors'!! :D

Well, 40 or so years ago, not that many knew that....and the backlight was on the 500's too, right? When did you learn to read VIN's? I sure didn't pay much attention to them in the early 80's....or even later than that.
I saw a Daytona in 1982. First time I saw one in person. It was beat up and rusted, but in original paint. I still remember my brother and I seeing the 2 X’s that were in the VIN. I worked auto body in the later 80’s. And the thing that cost the most on collision was the labor. Sure, you could charge insurance companies for a new door and then install one you got for half that at the wrecking yard, but labor had to be done. I just can’t see from a business perspective how a dealership with a new car could remove an entire front end, install another one, fill the holes in the tops of the quarters, paint the car and not be seriously under water with not only the parts but the labor. And it would be tying up the shop. You’d lose less money cutting the price. I don’t doubt that some may have been wrecked, and the owner or a body shop installed “standard” parts after they were sold new. I can’t say it never happened, just have never seen any proof.

I've had plenty tell me that their father, brother, friend, whatever...had a Satellite like mine, except it was a Sport Satellite, or that mine is missing the Sport emblem. I used to tell them that were no Sport Satellites until '68, but they'd argue so now I just let it go. The best one I ever heard was a guy tell me he used to have one just like it except it was a red Chevy. I wondered how it was like mine - 4 wheels?, 2 doors? lol

I don't even know where to start with the comments about my 69 Coronet 440.
Yesterday at the grocery store older guy walks up and says "sweet Charger"
I said no it is a Coronet 440 and he looks over and says man that's cool its got a 440 in it.
I get the "That's a cool Charger" comment all the time.
When I tell people that no it has a 383 which is a rare option they look disappointed that it's not a 440.

Damn I wish I had painted body color under the hood! :rofl: :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I’ve heard the story about Superbirds… they had to make 4 times as many to satisfy NASCAR “stock car” rules. But even in that case, a dealer would have to purchase the whole front end, fenders, hood, grill, bumper… fill the holes in the quarters, and then paint the entire car. To sell it as a low dollar road runner? Yeah right. They would just discount the price to move it on.
$2399 at Reedman in Langhorne Pa. Should have saved that newspaper from my Grandmothers canning kitchen drawer.

Last edited:
I have yet to finish mine (getting close,
though).
The first person that calls it a rat rod, I'll
be packing up the picnic basket and heading
home. Great post as it gives us newbies to
such events an advanced warning of what
to expect.
20200804_201032.jpg

I don't even know where to start with the comments about my 69 Coronet 440.
Yesterday at the grocery store older guy walks up and says "sweet Charger"
I said no it is a Coronet 440 and he looks over and says man that's cool its got a 440 in it.
I get the "That's a cool Charger" comment all the time.
When I tell people that no it has a 383 which is a rare option they look disappointed that it's not a 440.
Come on....You surely must know that using the same number for an engine and a car model is confusing.

Come on....You surely must know that using the same number for an engine and a car model is confusing.
Oh I know it is.
I am more questioning why the designers decided to make the emblem look like that just for 69 only.
I think it looks cool, granted I’m just bitching to you guys because it is a never ending question I get.

I had my 67 Coronet R/T at a show once. Old guy came up to me and said that the red in the R/T emblems was incorrect. Said they were supposed to be the same color as the car body. He said he knew this because his brother had bought a 67 R/T brand new in 1967, and the R/T emblems matched the paint. By the way, what color was his brother's new car in 1967? uh.... RED

Overhead a young "Chevy guy" make a comment about the 383 callouts on the hood of a 69 Road Runner....
"Wow, I didn't know Mopar also made a 383."

Well, 40 or so years ago, not that many knew that....and the backlight was on the 500's too, right? When did you learn to read VIN's? I sure didn't pay much attention to them in the early 80's....or even later than that.
In all my years of Moparing, I have yet to see a single Daytona or Superbird that was converted back to a Charger or Roadrunner. Although people didn’t always know how to read the VIN, we do now, and I’ve yet to see an XX Charger or a U code Roadrunner.

In all my years of Moparing, I have yet to see a single Daytona or Superbird that was converted back to a Charger or Roadrunner. Although people didn’t always know how to read the VIN, we do now, and I’ve yet to see an XX Charger or a U code Roadrunner.
Haven't seen one either and now with what they are worth there are some (if not all that have survived over the years) that have been converted back to what they were originally. I've read about that happening....

Suppose some people who don’t know cars, think calling out a popular name like Charger, GTO, Camaro, or an engine like Hemi, might get them a hit with the owner that they know cars. Had an old friend (former) who liked to come across as most knowledgeable on automobiles (and a host of other topics). Oh yeah – HE knew it all. Except don’t think he ever had a wrench in his hands. Check that, he did when he handed them to me when I was laying under his ride. Lol, later his girlfriend was telling me how HE fixed his Vette. Do tell I said; was that this morning? Yes, it was. I looked at him saying nice job John. Same guy who I asked to come over to help me build my deck. He sat on a lawn chair watching my FIL and me working. FIL said “He here to supervise?”

Suppose some people who don’t know cars, think calling out a popular name like Charger, GTO, Camaro, or an engine like Hemi, might get them a hit with the owner that they know cars. Had an old friend (former) who liked to come across as most knowledgeable on automobiles (and a host of other topics). Oh yeah – HE knew it all. Except don’t think he ever had a wrench in his hands. Check that, he did when he handed them to me when I was laying under his ride. Lol, later his girlfriend was telling me how HE fixed his Vette. Do tell I said; was that this morning? Yes, it was. I looked at him saying nice job John. Same guy who I asked to come over to help me build my deck. He sat on a lawn chair watching my FIL and me working. FIL said “He here to supervise?”
I have a friend like that too but I got tired of his BS after 25 years or so. I think the kicker was when he wouldn't shut up about 'why do you like these crappy Dodges' while he was riding in it....and while his Chevy pickup was broke down in his driveway. Another was when he started telling me how to do machine work. He was a unit operator at the refinery but does own a lathe, a milling machine and a few other things however, I never seen him operate any of them.

I'm not a fan of most car shows, but I participate to get together with three high school classmates who attend on a regular basis. The Hemi GTX inevitably draws the comment, "too bad it doesn't have a four speed." I get better reactions at the local gas stations.
Hemi Engine.jpg

Last edited:
At the auction with the 69 Dart 340, a guy asked me about two B bodies he knows that are available. After he described them, I asked: "Do you want a driver or an investment car?"
I started going through the ways to confirm originality and where to look for rot. After a couple minutes, he stopped me because of information overload. So I told him he could call me and I would help him look them over. I'm not the type to backdoor somebody. Mostly, I don't want another project, but with his permission, I could change my mind for the right car. Odds are, a 69 Superbee is a 383 car, but you never know.

Auto Transport Service
Back