• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Car show comments

I can't wait to take the Express to some shows. I can just imagine the comments that I'll get...lol...

I have yet to finish mine (getting close,
though).
The first person that calls it a rat rod, I'll
be packing up the picnic basket and heading
home. Great post as it gives us newbies to
such events an advanced warning of what
to expect.
View attachment 1352333
A friend had a OL' Dodge truck. Until some cell phone using *** wipe crossed the center line and took him out.

Rick Dabney4.jpg

Rick Dabney7.jpg

Rick Dabney.jpg

I remember when the "All New" Challenger was first introduced for 1970. After I saw the first pictures, my immediate thought was, " Great! Now Dodge is making Camaros. " I have never really warmed up to E-bodies. I had just recently bought a new 1969 SuperBee.
I always thought the ‘70 ‘Cuda was the best looking ‘69 Camaro ever made. :D

I always thought the ‘70 ‘Cuda was the best looking ‘69 Camaro ever made. :D
Funny thing was no one ever called my 71 Cuda a Camaro like they did my Challenger lol. I never saw how a Challenger could ever look like a Camaro......

Just to mess with people, I would sometimes call out fender tag codes completely wrong.
I’ve complimented owners on their nice “Mustang” whether it was a Dart or a Road Runner. It is funny to see the look of WTF and disbelief on their faces. I always let them know that I was kidding.

I'm not a fan of most car shows, but I participate to get together with three high school classmates who attend on a regular basis. The Hemi GTX inevitably draws the comment, "too bad it doesn't have a four speed." I get better reactions at the local gas stations. View attachment 1352535
Spare yourself future embarrassment and just keep the car here with me. Fred needs a big brother. :)

Just to mess with people, I would sometimes call out fender tag codes completely wrong.
I’ve complimented owners on their nice “Mustang” whether it was a Dart or a Road Runner. It is funny to see the look of WTF and disbelief on their faces. I always let them know that I was kidding.
I've done that too but was usually with people that I knew a little bit and would walk up from behind and pop one off. When they saw who was being dumb they would laugh.

Driving is getting to be like motorcycle riding- absolute situational awareness at all times.

"What is my escape route of least potential damage if driver A does X? If driver B does Y?"

Just yesterday someone pulled out in front of me and I had to pass them in the median or potentially skid into them.

...and on my way to work this morning, someone darted out in front of me and then went 10 MPH under the limit.

I've done that too but was usually with people that I knew a little bit and would walk up from behind and pop one off. When they saw who was being dumb they would laugh.
I've done similarly - but it involves Fred himself.
As I approach my car from wherever I'm coming from and I see someone hanging out and checking him over,
I'll say something silly like "I wouldn't own that dressed up pig if you gave it to me..."
Reactions span from damn near agreement to a couple times where the other person got downright defensive
of Fred back at me - which of course tickled me to death. :lol:

Driving is getting to be like motorcycle riding- absolute situational awareness at all times.

"What is my escape route of least potential damage if driver A does X? If driver B does Y?"

I was explaining this to my wife when she was interested in riding.

We were getting ready to turn left at a light.
There was a semi coming towards us.
As an example, I said- "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
"That truck could cross the line and hit us head on, is what I'm thinking....what could we do to avoid that with the least possible damage?"

As we started analyzing the options and looking around us, dammed if that truck didn't start drifting over the line right at us!
I pulled up into the intersection some more and moved over so I could continue straight and accelerate without hitting the median on the other side, while also getting a bit of a head start.

At the last second, the truck swerved back into it's lane.

Couldn't script that any better.

Nice old gent was admiring my Plymouth at a gas station, it has a plate noting the year/model, block letters Plymouth on the hood, block letters on the deck Fury. Oh a front plate with Plymouth on that. He asked what year it was then says “Fury huh? Who made that car?” I said Pontiac. He nodded affirmatively. Was going to say what it was; but figured he’d likely not give a rat’s *** one way or the other...

That's something I was taught very early on - always look for an escape, always have a plan...
I try to get my wife into a similar mindset when she drives these days.

Ain't working. :)

EDIT: Also - expect everyone else to do something stupid. They'll not all disappoint you if you do.

Auto Transport Service
Back