• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OEM 9.25 sure grip carrier looks

XCELLR8

Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
I replaced my 8.25 rear-end with a 9.25 sure grip. When looking at the carrier the outside was machined and looked like it was 2 pieces. Was the OEM unit as cast or machined? I'm thinking the carrier might be an aftermarket unit. When I was able to try it out the sure grip gave out to a one wheel peel, so I'm looking to replace or rebuild. There were no markings or numbers I could see without disassembly. If I replace, what is a good brand to use for a street/cruiser car. The rear is a 1977 9.25 sure grip.

All three of the lsd"s i found for a 9 1/4 specify 31 spline axles, 2.71-up gear. The auburn says 1984 up. There is also a yukon dura-grip, and a detroit truetrac. I would prefer the rruetrac, but of course it's the most expensive.
As for a rebuild, im pretty sure the factory suregrip at that time was a cone type, similar to the later 8 3/4 units. If it is, there is a tutorial on how to recondition them at fabo in the how-to section. I have it bookmarked, but i dont know how to put a link here. . Somebody here will.
If it is a dana clutch style (i doubt it) then it is an easy rebuild, just need to find clutches and parts.

The rear carrier has springs that I saw. I don't know if the cone type have springs or not.

Cone type have visible springs, clutch type (dana corp.) dont.
In my experience, cone style are much more likely to be worn out, one wheel peel, than the clutch type. The cones can be fixed.

FWIW, This cone unit came out of my '74 Trailduster. Thought it would never find a new home but it finally sold about a year ago for a whopping 65 bucks here.

upload_2021-6-24_9-58-37.png

upload_2021-6-24_9-43-43.png

Auto Transport Service
Back