• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Offset upper control arm bushing question??

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
I need a sanity check here. I'm reinstalling bushings in my upper control arms and my plan is (was) to install offset Moog bushings in the rear position to get more positive caster. I've already pressed standard bushings in the front.

I got to looking at the rather brief instruction for the offset bushings and it has a drawing that shows positioning the arrow on the bushing towards the ball joint which places the camber bolt further towards the center of the car which will increase camber but decrease caster. Apparently Moog's original intent for these was primarily to increase camber and not caster.

Since my objective it to increase caster, I need to install with the arrow pointing away from the ball joint - right? That moves the caster bolt towards the outside and shifts the upper ball joint to the rear.

Does it matter if these are installed on the rear versus the front instead?

Thanks

The original intent of the Moog bushings was to gain Positive camber from cars that had damage. When their bushings are installed the way that their instructions show, you may have too much positive camber and even less positive caster than before. Installing the offsets only in the rear will not help much. You really should do both front and rear. Even then, the caster gain over standard bushings may only amount to 1-2 degrees.
The proper installation for increased caster is: FRONT bushing with the thinnest rubber section toward the engine. REAR bushing with the thinnest rubber section toward the fender.

Well, I did it just the opposite so I guess I'll see how it turns out when I get it together and try my hand at aligning it. I have a couple other, older cars and it's typically suggested with radials to run zero camber to 1/2 degree negative - and I assume that probably would work for old Mopars too. I didn't anticipate any problem achieving that type of camber but I guess I'll find out.

With my 70 Charger, I have it set to 1/2 degree NEG camber, 4 degrees POS caster and 1/8" toe in. I run a 275-40-18 tire. The car steers and handles great. I have stock upper and lower control arms but I do have the MOOG bushings installed for better caster.

I went back and checked my notes on my old alignment and I had about 1/4 deg positive camber and 4 deg caster. If I dial the camber back to negative I will lose some of my caster - but I'm hoping the off set bushings in the rear position will help me keep the caster around 4 degrees.

Thanks

That is an ideal scenario that few people can achieve. The cars were built within a tolerance range. Some cars will be at one end of the range, some at the other with the majority near the middle. My buddys 71 Road Runner has the same suspension setup as my Charger but with the offset bushings in place, they were only able to get 2 degrees on caster with 1/2 degree of Neg camber. His must have been at the opposite end of tolerance that mine was built with.

Auto Transport Service
Back