• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh no.....dropped/missing a bolt!

A buddy of mine lost an engine when a loose nut got caught up in the rotating assembly. Maybe one in a million, but it happened.

FOUND IT!!!!
I was doing bulkhead work last night and somehow the bolt ended up in my wiring parts box!!!!! I'm so relieved.

I learned a few things as well, thanks everyone!

20200514_153119.jpg

Damnnnn! Get yourself one of these magnetic trays! Harbor Freight gives them away when you spend a certain amount.
10071230_twk_tw249_pri_larg.jpg

I remember I dropped a bolt into the distributor hole in the block. I was so pissed lol...

it won't hurt anything even if it fell down inside. it will make its way into the pan and wait for someone to discover it the next time the pan comes off. you would believe the crap I have found in pans. it's not like it fell into a combustion chamber or port.
Really? What happens if its laying on top of the cam? UHHMM?
Doug

I'm in the process of changing the valve cover gaskets on my '69 383. I'm ditching the current bolts for ARP studs. I have the valve cover off and I was using one of the original bolts to make sure the threads on the head were clear as I was having a hard time getting the APR studs in. I thought I'd put it back with the others and now I can't find it for the life of me.

I've scoped the heads and everyplace I can't see under the car with a endoscope camera to no avail. There doesn't seem to be too many places it could be hiding IF it fell into the head.

My question is if it did fall in, can it drop any lower than the bottom of the head?
Maybe, can you see the in the lifter valley?

The magnetic tray KK posted is a good idea. So is having an assortment of sizes of magnets on those
cheapy telescoping rods they sell for a buck or two.
Those things save me hitting the floor with my crippled carcass all the time. :thumbsup:

The magnetic tray KK posted is a good idea. So is having an assortment of sizes of magnets on those
cheapy telescoping rods they sell for a buck or two.
Those things save me hitting the floor with my crippled carcass all the time. :thumbsup:

I know the feeling!

Dealing with RA you can't trust your fingers anymore so you are always thinking one step ahead..."If I drop this nut where's it going to go?" Pack a rag in the hole/holes under where you're working. Tape works good sometimes to close off a hole. Piece of cardboard under the car can catch hardware or wrenches when they fall through, just pull it out instead if crawling around under the car.

I have a large assortment of telescopic magnets, flexable tools with the magnet on the end, long flexable spreading finger type tools where you push the end to open the fingers to grab something in a tight spot. I didn't get old being stupid and I normally learn by my mistakes the first go around.
301.gif

I know the feeling!

Dealing with RA you can't trust your fingers anymore so you are always thinking one step ahead..."If I drop this nut where's it going to go?" Pack a rag in the hole/holes under where you're working. Tape works good sometimes to close off a hole. Piece of cardboard under the car can catch hardware or wrenches when they fall through, just pull it out instead if crawling around under the car.

I have a large assortment of telescopic magnets, flexable tools with the magnet on the end, long flexable spreading finger type tools where you push the end to open the fingers to grab something in a tight spot. I didn't get old being stupid and I normally learn by my mistakes the first go around. View attachment 952786
My stubbornness usually requires more than once....but yeah. :)

Rebuilt a carb for someone. When time to re-install it, I could not find one of the carb mounting nuts. About 50 miles later, the vehicle starting loosing power and ran slower and slower. Made it back to find a damaged combustion chamber.

Here's a "missing bolt". Unless it was sabotage.

The engine teardown starts @ 8:00

Skip to the 15:30 for the carnage.

Continue watching for more damage.

Why we never opened our hoods at the drive in, midway between rival towns and even had them locked chained down. Lads from Perth would throw a handful of set screws in guys carbs to slowly work their way in to jam valves open.. and **** like shown here.

Why we never opened our hoods at the drive in, midway between rival towns and even had them locked chained down. Lads from Perth would throw a handful of set screws in guys carbs to slowly work their way in to jam valves open.. and **** like shown here.

This was a car bought at an auction. Maybe someone was trying to get a deal by not having a running engine? Maybe the guy who lost at bidding took retaliation? The bolt was a grade 5 so it wasn't a factory bolt. You never know with some people.

Some people just aren't right.... Hard to even conceive of someone doing something like that....

Agreed Wild, but you had to live it. We knew which town was arriving to play high school football by the number of ambulances parked before the game started. One it was Almonte, two it was Carlton Place or Merrickville, three it was Perth. Think the longest yard.. LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back