• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil and spark plug gap 1969 440

1969CoronetR/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows or recommends what grade of oil to use in a 1969 Coronet R/T with a 440 rb engine. It seems to have high miles on it and I got 5 quarts of Castrol high mileage oil (not synthetic) 10w-40. Also, what should the spark plugs be gaped? .035?
Thanks,
Mark.

If the oil doesnt have zinc make sure to use a additive to add some.

I gap the plugs at 35 with the electronic ignition and use Rotella T 15-40 regular oil. I picked up 5 lbs of oil pressure on a cold start and also 5 Lbs when the engine is warmed up. The oil has some zinc in it as well.

The current Rotella T 15-40 oil does have some zinc in it, but not as much as the oils used in the sixties. It's still a good idea to use a zinc additive.

I thought the HP engines used the high capacity oil pan and carried 6 quarts when changing the filter? Does yours register full on the stick with 5?

I have not changed it yet, so it may need another quart to make six. My 340 stroked to a 416 uses five so I was on autopilot and grabbed five like I always do. Why is zinc so important to add as it has hardened seats?
Mark

Hardened seats has nothing to do with zinc in the oil...but ZDDP has a lot to do with non roller cams lasting. It's part of the additive package in oil that helps with high pressure/high wear items like lifters and cams. If you have a roller cam, don't worry about it but today's oils don't have the additive anymore because it messes up cat converters....and todays engines are all roller engines and don't need the additive.

my two cents; Delo 400 40 wt and .040 gap with pertronixelectronic ignition.

Auto Transport Service
Back